The objects in this Shadow Box symbolize who I am on the inside: my counter narrative. On the outside, I appear as a young woman with dark hair, pale skin, and hazel eyes. Although these assigned identities are a huge part of my life, they do not define me completely. The Mexican flag, the image of the Virgin, and the cross remind me that I am strong and that there are people who will be with me and who will give me hope always. Because I identify as a female hispanic, people don’t expect me to care or be into schoolish subjects. But I am. I love reading; there is nothing better than letting the words in a book carry a reader into a completely different, magical world. It was important for me to show that my family originates from Mexico because it is one of my big identities and my race affects a big part of my life right now that changes my perspective of the world. I also wanted to single out that I am Catholic because believing that there were people in the world were were generous and loving with everyone makes me want to be a better human being. Dominant narratives don’t have much faith in my race, they make us sound like criminals all of the time; like people who don’t have any respect for others. I hope that this Shadow Box is a strong counter narrative that helps people get rid of stereotypes.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Counter Narratives by Elizabeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Anya 1 month ago

Dear Elizabeth,

I am currently a student at San Jose State University. I’d like to say that your shadow box is beautiful because you added photos of your life and items that represent who you are. You express how proud you are of your cultural and religious background in a way that allows people to really understand who you are which is admirable. I loved when you said “there is nothing better than letting the words in a book carry a reader into a completely different, magical world.” This shows how passionate you are about books. Personally I couldn’t have been able to put those words together and make books sound that amazing. I’m glad you find reading in a way being “magical” and i think this will help you a lot in college and in life because reading is something very calming and interesting. Thank you so much for sharing a part of your life and your shadow box is really beautiful.

Sincerely
    Anya Padilla

2. Silvia 1 month ago

Hi Elizabeth, I am currently a student at San Jose State University. I really love your shadow box and the details you added that symbolize your background. While looking at your shadow box, I was able to connect to it because I am also Mexican. It was really nice how you added pictures because it shows that your shadow box is personal. After all, you did an amazing job.

3. roberto 2 months ago

i like your BEANS and RiCE