The objects in this Shadow Box symbolize who I am on the inside: my counter narrative. On the outside, I appear as a young woman with dark hair, pale skin, and hazel eyes. Although these assigned identities are a huge part of my life, they do not define me completely. The Mexican flag, the image of the Virgin, and the cross remind me that I am strong and that there are people who will be with me and who will give me hope always. Because I identify as a female hispanic, people don’t expect me to care or be into schoolish subjects. But I am. I love reading; there is nothing better than letting the words in a book carry a reader into a completely different, magical world. It was important for me to show that my family originates from Mexico because it is one of my big identities and my race affects a big part of my life right now that changes my perspective of the world. I also wanted to single out that I am Catholic because believing that there were people in the world were were generous and loving with everyone makes me want to be a better human being. Dominant narratives don’t have much faith in my race, they make us sound like criminals all of the time; like people who don’t have any respect for others. I hope that this Shadow Box is a strong counter narrative that helps people get rid of stereotypes.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Counter Narratives by Elizabeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.