My Identity Box

By: Cesar Sanchez

The objects that are included in my shadow box represent my identity, my own counter narrative. When people look at me, they see a short, cisgender boy with light skin and red hair. Many people assume that I am white because I am light skinned. That I am just a male that wants to fight everyone and someone that is mad all the time because I am a male. These are stereotypes about people that assume my identity. In other words, the people are creating counter narratives. Counter narratives could be made about someone because of someone’s race, ethnicity, or nationality. This is why I want people to see me as the identities that I included in my shadow box. Identities that I have included in my shadow box are both assigned and chosen identities. I have chosen to include loteria cards to represent my race as Latinx even though race does not genetically exist. Another reason for why I included loteria cards to represent my ethnicities s Mexican American. Loteria cards are separated, some cards represent music, others plants, and other cards represent animals. The counter narrative that I am trying to make people know about my identities are that I am a fun person, short but brave, and light skinned but Mexican American.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Cesar’s Shadowbox by Cesar is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.