Artist Statement

This Shadow Box represents my counter narratives. One of my identities is being Guatemalan.  I am a proud Guatemalan and want others to talk about and learn about Guatemala. My country experiences  erasure by the other countries because Guatemala is so small and for some reason not worth talking about that often. I want people to know what my culture is and what we do so they can appreciate and love what we do. My other identity is being a female. And being a female gets oppressed by people who think we are weak and vulnerable just because we are “different” than men. But I want to show that we aren’t too weak as we seem. And how we are just like them able to control our lives by not depending on men and taking care of serious stuff. By showing we are strong and can get through everything as they do. My other identity is being the youngest sibling, this identity brings me problems because everybody just sees me as “…. younger sister” and I feel like I have to make myself be seen because I don’t want to be seen as that identity.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Ashley’s Shadow Box by Ashley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.