When people see me they will normally think that I’m White because of my skin color and the way I talk but in reality I am a Latino human being. When people look at this shadow box they will ask me why the pictures of the bands and my answer to that is no I am not emo but really like music and these two are my favorite albums and they are my favorite band, what I’m trying to say is that I really like music and that’s my main identity I’m a music lover really can’t do anything without music, music is what keeps me going and it’s what gives me ideas. If you are wondering why there is a picture of me, the answer to that is just for you to see me. The gun with the cross means that video games do not cause violence. The Switch and the games mean that I am a video game lover and that I play a lot of video games. The word beaner is a dominant narrative that people say about Latino people. The game that is on my shadow box is my favorite game and the game that I have been laying for so long.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Artist Statement by Erick is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kayla 4 months ago

Hello Erick, my name is Kayla Whittiker and I am a San Jose State University Student. I really enjoyed reading about your box. I like that you explain how you feel the world views you but elaborate on who you really are as a person. While you explained everything that was on the box, it allowed me to understand who you really are. I think it’s pretty cool that you can express yourself through different genres of music. I see you included the word beaner and it made me wonder how does that word make you feel or affect you as an individual?

2. Jesus 4 months ago

Dear Erick I am proud that you felt comfortable enough to share things that most people might not want to share with people good job and I will be coming back to see what else you post because this really tell an important story.

3. Joshua 4 months ago

Dear Erick Guierrez

I am proud of you for doing the shadow box because I thought it was very creative and I think this can become a hobby because it looks like you had fun finding the photos and designing it about yourself and who you are as a person. I think you did great on the shadow box because I get what you are trying to say about yourself and what others think what you do. I see you put the Mexican flag because you are trying to say that you are mexican and also a person who plays games.