I was born in New York City and have lived there ever since. I moved once when I was two but I can’t remember it that much. Ever since then I haved lived downtown. I first went to preschool in Chinatown because it was close to us. After that I went to elementary and middle with my sister. I went to the same school for nine years – this is my first time going to a different school since Kindergarten.

I have traveled to the Bahamas, Brazil, and Greece. I was only four when I went to Brazil for my aunt’s wedding, I wanted to be the flower girl so bad but they had to have someone carry the rings so I had them laced into my flowers.(Because they trusted a four year old with wedding rings for some reason).

I like to dance, sing, and act. I’ve been in many musicals over the years and always enjoy them. I also enjoy painting and baking (I find it more enjoyable to make sweet dishes). I live at home with my mom, dad, and dog (Gracie). I used to share a room with my sister but she just recently went to college in August. I visit my grandparents in Maryland. I love visiting there because it’s very different from the city – there are trees everywhere and you have to take a 20 minute walk just to get to the nearest Dunkin Donuts. It’s nice to take walks there because and I can smell the fresh air and look around at the beautiful trees around me. I also have cousins that visit very often because they live just an hour away. I lost both of my moms parents. My grandpa passed away of skin cancer when I was two (That’s why my mom’s always so worried about sunscreen.) I did meet him but I don’t really remember him since I was only two. My grandma passed away when I was nine.

I am very privileged to have all these amazing opportunities. My parents work very hard at their jobs. My mom’s a dancer teacher and dances in a world famous dance company, and my dad is a lawyer. Because of this I am able to take dance classes and go out with my friends. I am very lucky for this, as many people can’t do these things.

1. Katarina 1 year ago

Dear Elena,
    I am really interested in your bio-essay, “Growing Up in New York,” because of how descriptive you wrote it to be! I also really like how you were able to share your experiences and ideas in such a creative way!
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ I like to dance, sing, and act. I’ve been in many musicals over the years and always enjoy them” I think this is a really cool thing to write about because you can share all of your experiences with it!
    Another sentence that I found really interesting was: “
    I was born in New York City and have lived there ever since” This stood out for me because I am also a New Yorker! :>
    Your essay reminds me of something that happened to me. In the past I’ve also been a part of a dancing group that I have extremely fond memories of. Although I don’t dance anymore I still remembered because of your writing! I can relate to your story and I really enjoy how it was written!
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because of how interesting your writing is! Thank you :>