My name is Ruth Struening, Struening is unusually my mom’s last name. I am the child of Americans, my mom is from Westchester, and my dad grew up in Taiwan and Thailand because of his diplomatic family. Both of my parents work at City College and work in higher education. They met in Boston. My dad was taking a course from my moms dissertation advisor. They’ve shared similar experiences in academics and both consider themselves humanist. My twin sister, Emma and I were born at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NY. We were born on November 18th 2005. During my early years, my mom, dad, sister, and I were living in an apartment on 80 park avenue, 39th street. My grandma had bought it back in the 90’s when it was more affordable. Eventually the rent grew too high. We wanted to live near my grandma and aunt anyway, so we packed up our stuff, and moved to Brooklyn. Most of what I remember from 80 park is making cutouts of drawings I made with my sister and nanny, making videos of my playmobil and lalaloopsies and harassing our poor dog Scottie. Those memories will forever be engraved into my brain, as well as the apartment number, 7D. Now I live on Bedford Avenue with my parents, sister and our dog Loki. My grandma and aunt live a couple doors down. Emma and I never went to preschool, ive never known why. Instead we took Ballet, which I thoroughly remembered hating. So you would’ve thought i’d be thrilled going into my first year at PS116 Elementary, but all I remember doing on the first day is begging my parents to stay, following their shocking betrayal and my hissy fit. 6 years later, Emma and I were placed in Simon Baruch, MS104. It was a long three 3 years but it was worth the long lasting relationships. Now, for the first time in our lives, Emma and I go to different schools. I am here, and she is at Humanities Prep. This year was the first year i’ve ever travelled outside of America. At the beginning, I went to visit my friend Siena and his sister Azzie in Montreal. It was the first time i’ve ever been away from my parents for more than 3 days. The first week of the 2 I was staying there I was very homesick, however, by the second week I was really happy. I miss them. 3 weeks later, I was on my way to Paris, France, the city of lights. We were in Paris for one week and I was utterly entranced. I could sense the history engraved in each stone I set foot on, and I could smell it in the air. Pastries. Croissants, Macarons, Tarts galore. I couldn’t get enough of them, I probably gained 10 pounds. A week later, we were in London. I feel bad about it but i’m being truthful when I say it was mediocre. Maybe it was the fact that London is so much like New York, but I just didn’t like it. But of course I appreciated the experience, not many people have the opportunity to go to europe for 2 weeks, especially at my age. I like hanging out with my friends, spending time with my family. I like listening to music in cars. I like playing games with my friends in Canada, and with my sister. I am currently really motivated to improve academically. I recently lost my uncles Bob, and Richard on my dads side, two of four brothers my dad has. My dads other brothers are named David and Bill. My dad also has three sisters, Deborah, Caroline and Allie. Because my parents had me so late, my cousins are up to 20 years older than me. My dad’s parents are no longer alive, they died before I was born. On my mother’s side I have my grandma Sue and my aunt Bebe. I’m not really familiar with my moms side of the family. We usually meet up with my dads side of the family, most of them live in Washington DC. I am lucky to have such a great family. Sincerely, Ruth

CC BY-SA 4.0 Bio by Ruth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.