I am, Mariely Padilla. I just turned 18 and I’m on a journey of self identification. What’s important to know about me is that I’m a person who wears their heart on their sleeve and tries everyday to be kinder than the day before. I was born on August 18, 2001 in uptown Manhattan. A turning point that happened to me was when I came back from the Dominican Republic and what had been happening to me prior  was happening again when I came back. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone but I personally feel it has made me have the most empathy for anyone; it has made me kinder and it has made me more open at a young age. It has also made me way too mature too soon but I’m grateful for it; this way I have been able to be there for people in ways that I didn’t expect and I embrace it to the fullest. I have lived, well, all around, but I have lived most of my years in the Bronx.  

What do I like to do in school? Well I don’t really like school at all but I like learning new things so I pay attention to details but for the most part it’s to check on my friends. In the sense of activities, as long as I work with someone I’m comfortable with or talk with and don’t speak out loud then I don’t mind working with anyone. What I’m good at in school is working individually and writing. I like writing; I just have a lot to express and when I think I’m done expressing there’s more I want to say so I think I can write forever about the things I am passionate about .

What do I enjoy doing out of school? It’s not much but I like going home and catching up on my phone, sleeping, checking in on friends and finding new ways to better myself or just ground myself. What am I particularly good at? I’m good at communicating and making people comfortable to speak up and let things out and be themselves even though I don’t allow myself to do that for me, but I try. In terms of hobbies I play basketball, draw, and have a passion for film. How did I get that way ? I believe as time went on and dwelling and overthinking things I learned more about myself; I became more patient and along with doing my research . In the sense of hobbies I taught myself basketball at a young age and became pretty good , I started drawing randomly and found out I wasn’t so bad (I’m still working on my craft, though). Film has really touched a personal spot for me. I have developed an emotional connection with film , what gets to me the most in movies are the details. If there’s a detail that I interpreted in my own perception and it got to me then that movie would automatically will be on my list depending . I’m really big on details so it’s really easy for movies to get my attention in certain ways .                                                                     

CC BY-SA 4.0 Let things out by Mariely is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Keily 2 months ago

Dear Mariely:
    I am very impressed with your your post “Let Things Out” because you’re a very nice human being and very talented.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I like writing; I just have a lot to express and when I think I’m done expressing there’s more I want to say so I think I can write forever about the things I am passionate about” . I think I can relate because I spend a plethora of time writing poems and it connects because i always have more to say.
    Another sentence that I can relate was: “It has also made me way too mature too soon but I’m grateful for it; this way I have been able to be there for people in ways that I didn’t expect and I embrace it to the fullest”.This stood out for me because I had went through situation that made mature and now i see life with a different perspective.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I went for vacation to Dominican Republic and something bad happened to me. In DR there’s barely any traffic lights , so I was crossing the street and got hit my motorcycle. Thank God I didn’t break a bone but I was really hurt.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you are great at writing and grabbing people’s attention.