Hi! I am Dr. Ilko and I am so excited to be working with you this year. I was born on December 8th in a small city called Downey California. But I am a San Diego kid at heart, making my home here when I was three years old.  I grew up in Clairemont, spending most of my life in the same neighborhood. A turning point in my life came pretty early. I was an only child, and my parents split when I was 13. I had to grow up pretty quickly and learn how to do things on my own.  My friends became my family when it was just my dad and I in high school, I was blessed to have friends then that are still with me today. When it was time to go to college I decided to attend San Diego State. I spent my entire college career there from my undergrad in teaching,  then my masters, and after a really long break (about 25 years,) I just finished my doctorate in educational leadership in 2018. I think I am the perfect example of the never too late to learn pillar. 

Some important things to know about me are that I run on coffee and adventure. I love to try new things and I am willing to take risks. I am not very athletic, but I love to workout and get outside. The beach is my happy place and if life gets rough you will find me there. I am married to my college sweetheart Rob, and I have two kids Alicia and Steven. Both my kids have ties to HSHMC, Alicia taught here for a semester a few years ago while working on her teaching career. She just got married this past summer and is now teaching first and second grade in Santee.  My son Steven was in the first class of HSHMC and will be graduating medical school this spring from Carver Medical School at the University of Iowa. So I guess you can say HSHMC is in my blood.

Teaching has been in my blood. I am entering my thirty-first year and I have taught second grade through adults in my career. This is going to my fourth year here at HSHMC and I love all the opportunities we have to learn and grow here. The Independent Surgeons Program is a special place at Health Sciences High School. This program is designed to help you reach your goals and aspirations using both digital and face to face instruction that meets your needs. I am working hard to create a program that is a space that not only gives you the academic courses you need but also allows you to explore your own interests. That means that we will be doing a lot of collaboration together, tailoring your classes to your interests and skills. I am here for you and I can’t wait to see what this year brings as we work together to continue to make HSHMC the best school in the universe!

CC BY-SA 4.0 Dr. Ilko’s 3 Paragraph Introduction by Janet is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.