Why do so many societies restrict women’s hair? Women are considered attractive if they have long, luxurious, beautifully colored tresses – as if their hair is a stand-in for their sexuality. “Let your hair down” means to run wild. Traditional Judaism and Islam require women to cover their hair for precisely this reason, but don’t point the finger at them; in the past in America and Europe, all women were expected to put their hair up, to control it, when they reached marriagable age.

But folks, it’s just hair. My hair, your hair. If you want it short or long or to shave it all off; if you want to make it purple or rainbow colors or its own glorious mixture of silver and steel, do it. It’s who we are. Everyone else, just keep your assumptions and restrictions to yourself.

CC BY-SA 4.0 It’s Just Hair, Not Sex by Audrey is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.