Did you know plastic has been around for more than 50 years? Also, did you know that plastic never leaves the planet? Yup, you read right! Plastic never leaves because it never actually gets destroyed. Individuals tried to get rid of it but it’s way too much plastic in the ocean as well as on the surface as a consequence we look around and we see plastic or trash. A big amount of the plastic made till this day is single used. We should stop buying single-use plastic, like single-use water bottles to water bottle caps; we should buy things like reusable water bottles along with reusable bags. Plastic is not good for the environment.  

Plastic is useful in a few cases such as airbags, helmets, hair product containers, phone cases, cups to go from fast food restaurants, gloves, straws, forks, spoons, toys, water bottles, grocery bags. Greater things or objects that I have just listed are single used products. Single-use products are usually not necessary but the needs that someone or some people need it but not everyone needs a bendable plastic straw. People are getting lazier by the minute at a maximum of us. People most only buy plastic utensils including plates so they wouldn’t have to wash after each plate they use plus it’s cheap. Part of the people that chooses plastic are people say they can’t afford the reusable things but you save more on reusable things you waste money every time you buy a new pack of plastic water packets.

Did you know 448 million tons of plastic produced globally in 2015?  Plastic made by humans was made in the 1900’s such as plates, utensils, and cups. About 700 sea creatures from zooplankton, seals, sea lions, seabirds, fish, whales, and dolphins have been affected but the plastic in the ocean. Between 4 and 12 million metric tons of plastic goes into the ocean each year. In 2017 (all over the nation) only 9% was being recycled. Some plastic is hidden in products they are called microbeads or scientifically it’s called polyethylene.

Plastic is dangerous for us and for other sea creatures. The fish and other sea creatures eat plastic and they are in the food chain so that means most of the plastic ends up in our stomachs. By 2050 it’s estimated that we’ll have created 13 billion tons of plastic waste. Lots of animals are being harmed by plastic by getting stuck in plastic and just by thinking they get full of them eating plastic. Plastic is creating pollution such as people trying ways to get rid of it. I personally think we should get rid of the single-use plastic but if it’s reusable we should be able to reuse it.

Work cited

Anastasia, Laura. “How Plastic Is Trashing The Planet”. How Plastic Is Trashing The Planet,

2019, p. 4, Accessed 13 June 2019.

“How We Can Keep Plastics Out Of Our Ocean | National Geographic”. National Geographic, 2019.

Hutchinson, Brian. “7 Ways To Reduce Ocean Plastic Pollution Today”. Oceanicsociety.Org, 2019, https://www.oceanicsociety.org/blog/1720/7-ways-to-reduce-ocean-plastic-pollution-today. Accessed 2017.

Our Changing Climate. image. 2018. Accessed 3 Aug 2018.

“The Great Pacific Garbage Patch Is Not What You Think It Is | The Swim”. 2018.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Plastic Around The World by Vette is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.