This year, we will start using Youth Voices, where students create their own posts, projects and manage their accounts to really expand the use of technology and our understanding of being a digital citizen.  Your student Youth Voices account will be like your online portfolio, documenting your work here in class.  All of your writing, videos, and reflections will now be posted on your account. 

Think of your Youth Voices account to be a chance for you to engage in project-based learning. Meaning, think about a topic you’d like to focus on and actually research that topic. Then, use that research to write meaningful contributions to the conversations on Youth Voices. Remember, we are learning about being participatory digital citizens and contributing to the conversation online, not consuming it.

Student Guidelines

When you press PUBLISH, what you have written is instantly visible all around the world. Make sure you think carefully about what you write in blogs and in comments and always follow these rules.

BE SAFE:

• Do not use your last name.
  • Don’t be specific when writing about yourself. eg. Say: “I play basketball with a local team” rather than “I play for the Mt Eliza Tigers”.
  • Never give anyone your address, email address or phone number. You can keep in touch through the blog.
  • Do not post photos of others without their permission.

BE RESPECTFUL

• Don’t say anything that might be offensive to someone else. Remember we are working on respectful conversations to deepen our digital citizenship participation.
  • Be considerate of others. When commenting, show others that you have read what they have written rather than just saying “great job”.
  • Be open to other people’s opinions, but be prepared to discuss your own position if you don’t agree.

BE LITERATE

• You know about good grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Apply it!
  • Save abbreviations and shortcuts for MSN and texting.
  • You are broadcasting yourself to the world. Present yourself in the best possible light.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Reading.Is.Lit.Project. by Hannah is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.