Poetry is a form of expression portrayed through art. This is proven by many, many, many different poems. Every poem you read is art. The beautiful piece of art I’ve chosen is “The Tyger” by William Blake. One big question this poem raises is if I as a person can look at myself as highly as Blake looks at this Tyger.

In “The Tyger,” Blake goes on about how this Tyger is “Bright” and compares it to things that give things life similar to what god does. This symbolism has not gone unnoticed and has raised my main question. Can I look at myself the way Blake looks at this Tyger? And no I don’t mean that I should look at myself as a god, but the Tyger seems like everything is going good for themselves and if I can reach the point to where I can do good for myself and be settled with life, will that make me great or “bright”? Although it might seem as if Blake is in awe to the point where he’s obsessed with the Tyger, it’s more on the side of him idolizing the Tyger. He looks up to it but not to the point where he wants to BE the Tyger. So my main point isn’t to be as great as the Tyger, but if I can own up to being the type of role model this Tyger is to Blake, especially to people who look up to me. Such as my little brother because role models aren’t supposed to perfect or resemble exact greatness. They represent the best they can be and in some sense after analyzing this poem, I see it as Blake being my little brother and me being the Tyger. Not God, but the bright star shining for my little brother to grow up and be an even bigger one.

Although my impression of this poem now is based on a comparison, my first impressions of this poem were of confusion.  It makes me feel confused, yet, intrigued at the same time.  A line that especially evokes the first feeling for me is, “Tyger Tyger burning bright .”  The other feeling of bewilderedness arises when I read the lines, “In what distant deeps or skies. Burnt the fire of thine eyes? On what wings dare he aspire? What the hand, dare seize the fire? ”.  Perhaps because in my mind the Tyger is being represented as both being bright and burning but also showing that its bright fire can be put out.

The way that Blake starts the poem with the last line of the first stanza with, “Could frame thy fearful symmetry? “leaves us with a sign of confusion since we lack knowledge of what the Tyger is to become. The comment clearly establishes a basic understanding of how Blake leaves us at the beginning of the poem with a sense of suspense but closes off with “Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?” which close out with us knowing that this Tyger is great but what dare goes against it?  But I propose the idea of him knowing that the Tyger can be easily downgraded or disrespected in a way. This is because through the whole poem he rhymes and has a clear rhythm, and he just all of a sudden breaks it. There is a possibility that this is to show that although the Tyger is great and shining, it also has its flaws.

This comment stands out to me in particular because it opens up my eyes to a perspective I haven’t thought from. Maybe the Tyger is being represented this way because Blake wants to deepen our understanding of the Tyger. Angelina has helped me realize that the Tyger is being shown as big and bright but also as strong, fearless and untouchable.

The two questions that this poem raises for me are “Do I look at myself as bright as this Tyger? and “Does this Tyger has any flaws?” The question I want to go in depth with is “Do I look at myself the same way Blake looks at this Tyger?” The poem does not necessarily answer this question but it does give us some insight into finding one. It’d take some self reflection, but also some comparison. The Tyger is so great, bright and undying which can’t be touched by anything.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Do I look at myself the same way Blake looks at his Tyger? by Joshua is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.