,

My first impressions of the poem “To My Dear and Loving Husband”  were how Anne Bradstreet wrote this poem to prove her or maybe someone else’s point of view of her love to a certain someone. One of her lines

My love is such that rivers cannot quench,

makes me feel generosity, yet, at the same time, affection. A line that also evokes the first feeling for me is:

If ever man were loved by wife, then thee;

The other feeling of affection arises when I read the line:

Compare with me, ye women, if you can.

She explains her feelings and proving how she’s better than every other woman.

The woman who is speaking in this poem is confident in herself and the man she’s in love with. The love she has for him will never die. Also, she cannot be replaced. What I know about the speaker is that she is the kind of person who wrote this poem to Simon Bradstreet.

Is true love really a thing? Do females really feel this way about themselves or about there husband or boyfriend? In the fourth line of the first stanza, Bradstreet writes:

Compare with me, ye women, if you can.

What I think this means is how this woman believes in herself, confident who she is. Saying how she can’t be compared to any other woman. What this comment raises to me is how to be confident in yourself, that everybody isn’t you. You are you and nobody can ever change that about you.

In the first line of the first stanza, Bradstreet writes:

If ever two were one, then surely we. 

What I think this means is that it is always going to be them two, them together is a whole. This is the start of the poem which makes me think that the speaker is going to describe her love life or her strong relationship. This statement also reminds me of a quote I heard of. It said that we have two of everything in our human forms but we don’t have two hearts because we have to find our missing piece. What this comment raises to me is how a woman sees love between two people.

In the fifth line, Bradstreet explains how their love is worth more than gold:

I prize thy love more than whole mines of gold,

The speaker does this to explain that their love is worth more than gold. She can also be saying that their love is stronger than gold. She says that to her she feels like their love is worth more, more important than gold.

In this story is about her having power over her relationship  I have done a close reading of the story’s figurative language.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is true love really a thing? by Charissa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.