1. Alysa 7 days ago

I agree that it is important for everyone to be able to vote, including those in prison. Here is a link to an article that I think would be beneficial in further developing your argument.https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/prisoners-convicts-felons-inmates-right-to-vote-enfranchise-criminal-justice-voting-rights-213979
    I like your topic, but I think it is important to discuss ways in which a change can be made to allow prisoners to vote. I would enjoy reading an article by you going further into what gives people the rights to vote and what does not allow prisoners the right to vote. In my government class, we are going over the rights of citizens, looking at court cases, and analyzing such documents as the Constitution. Your article is reminding me of the difference between federal and state powers. Most specifically a case in which a man followed state laws, but was put in federal prison because it did not follow federal law. I think it is important to know the rights of prisoners and what can be changed to allow them the same rights as other people. I liked how you started with the question of “If you were given the right to vote outside of bars, then what makes the difference inside?” Yes I like your thoughts on why they deserve, but I think finding sources and examples will help further your argument. Can you find ways to get to the root of the government and why they do not allow prisoners to vote? I think this essay is good and finding solutions and way we can make a difference would be helpful.

2. Emma 1 week ago

Melanie Elizabeth and Evelyn, you made a great argument and the issue as a whole is so incredibly interesting. I would love to learn more about the ethics rooted in the united states governments and justice system because ultimately we are debating a citizen’s right and as a nation we need to decide if breaking the law should strip you of citizenship and therefore rights. Understanding prisoner’s perspectives and power behind the right to vote as a criminal may be eyeopening as well since it does determine how they participate in society. I hope you writing again!

3. Clinton 1 week ago

I strongly agree what you said. I think it is important for all citizens to have right to voting. Here is some sources that might help you: https://www.sentencingproject.org/news/opinion-prisoners-allowed-vote/
    Have a good day! — Clinton Kwong

4. Kaitlyn 1 month ago

I found your topic very interesting with lots of great evidence to support your claim that prisoners should have their rights back and vote. here is a link to help support your claim and show the debate around the issue. https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/5/13/18535423/prisoner-felon-voting-rights-bernie-sanders-2020

5. Dekyra 5 months ago

Dear Melanie, I thought that your post about getting the right to vote in prison was interesting. I agree when you say that if prisoners can vote it will help out immigrants because, everybody know this year has a been a rough year for immigrants, so maybe if prisoners can vote it will change laws for immigrants. Your post has me thinking if the president and congress consider letting prisoners vote.