When is there gonna be change in our society? Don’t we all wonder that at some point of our life. In the poem changes by Tupac Shakur, it demonstrates with a message that calls for justice. With impressive verses and great rhythm, the song represents various challenges and injustices that black people have to face on a daily basis. Tupac attempts to demonstrate this with the poem “changes”, this is the complexity of social issues and how hard it is for things to get better, for equality and justice to be achieved. It is not an attempt that can be done by one person, but by a collective fight and persistence task that we need to fight for.

In line five of the first stanza, Tupac summarizes what’s going on on this line.  He writes, “I’m tired of being poor and, even worse, I’m black”. This is a big problem in society and the world. people that are black or less likely to not get treated as fair or equal as white people they see blackness as a weapon, which is terrible because it doesn’t matter what color you are, white black we are equal.  This line raises me in a way because it’s true what Tupac is saying: Black people tend to get treated differently and go through some much with the color they were given by God. So for them to have to live with this fucked up society treating them different they have to deal with being poor. And that’s outrageous.

In line three paragraph five, of the middle stanza, Tupac summarize what’s going on on this line.  He writes, “It’s time for us as a person to start making some changes”. I agree as a young teen I feel we need to make a change for my generation and the next one and so on. We need to start making some changes for we won’t go through what we’re going through now. We as a society have to help each other out and make the world better than it was before we have no more chance to make a change, I know we are a work in progress but it doesn’t hurt to try and make a change. This reminds me of every no is closer to a yes. So we can’t give up changing our world just because we don’t see no big change. We have to fight for our life of living, we can’t just live like this  

My first impression of this poem “changes” was that it was eye opening,  and inspiring poem. Everything the poem “Changes” says was facts. It made me feel Grateful, yet, at the same time, frustrated.  A line that especially evokes the first and second feeling for me is, “ I’m tired of bein’ poor and even worse I’m black, My stomach hurts so I’m lookin’ for a purse to snatch, Cops give a damn about a negro, Pull the trigger kill a nigga he’s a hero.”  This is a very raw concrusverson line that it makes you feel and think how a black person feel every moment of their life.What I know about the speaker is that they are the kind of person they are. They are inspiring to others and want to see the world change in a good new way. They tell a story so good that I can’t imagine anyone else rapping/reading this poem or song in a better way to let others know that there’s need to be changes. This is suggested by “ We gotta make a change It’s time for us as a person to start making’ some changes.Let’s change the way we eat, let’s change the way we live, And let’s change the way we treat each other.You see the old way wasn’t working so it’s on us to do, What we gotta do, to survive.”  The speaker is trying to let people know what needs to be changed and why, he also seems to be speaking to everyone whos hearing or reading this. Perhaps to make a change.  I say this because through the poem he’s talking about all the bad things and trauma that we as a society is going through that needs to be changed. The poem springs from a particular culture. Specifically, black culture.  The poem revolves around several themes, including Humanity suffering, and wholeness.

Well now that i got what “changes” is really about, lets think deeper, If this poem were a question, the answer would be “There no answer”because we can’t assume there will be change right away or even change at all.  We have to try and hope for our humanity to be saved and make change. Sometimes in life you just have to wait and procrastinate to make a change. If it were an answer, the question would be “when is there gonna be change in society ?”  The title suggests Change.

The poem’s form is a Sonnet/Epic This form is a vehicle for the content of the poem.  If the poem were a Ballad, it would not guide me toward an understanding of the poem’s meaning, because the form actually shapes the meaning of making a change.“The motif of Tupac Shakur in “changes” guides the reader toward insight into how we need to make changes in our society and when are we gonna make it. He addressing all the things that needs to be changed in the world and its sad that this is even happening. Like i wish the world could have peace and expect everyone.  I mean in the title it’s called “Changes” and throughout song he just talks about what needs to be change and how as a community we have to help each other. For example in the poem he said “But we can never go nowhere unless we share with each other, We gotta start making changes, Learn to see me as a brother instead of two distant strangers”

In conclusion, the poem “Changes” by Tupac Shakur demonstrates why we need to make changes in our society.

CC BY-SA 4.0 When is there gonna be change in our society? by Emily is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.