In the poem “There is a garden in her face” Thomas Campion talk about a lady that he is very attracted to and finds beautiful. While he portrays her to be beautiful and have no perfections he compares her to a garden and things you would find in a garden. Its like he describes her as everything and that gives me some questions on why does he view her like this? However, there is a huge turn when the suitors are warned away suggest that the reason the lady is so unapproachable is not that she is innocent or overly virtuous .When reading the poem, my first thought was yes the outside is what this guy is mainly focused on so maybe all men have the same view on women. Does a person have to be complemented to be shown there worth? Do men go based on what’s on the outside? Why are women so often compared to nature ? Are they more natural than men ? These are some of the questions that Thomas Campion’s poem “There is a garden in her face” provokes for a contemporary reader. Also, in this poem there is certain things that stand out such as alliteration , anaphora and there is a metrical pattern. Furthermore, the message that I think he aims to send is she’s beautiful and that’s why he compares her to something that he finds beautiful which is a garden To start off with one of the questions. Do men go off of what’s on the outside? According to the poem the answer looks like mostly yes because that seems to be the way he caught his eyes on her beauty. This is said because in a numerous amount of stanzas she is complimented and compared to a garden which he finds beautiful and starts describing and being more detailed with things other than the garden. For example, in the second stanza Campion states “ Which when her lovely laughter shows”, this line shows that he sees her laughter which means he’s going based off of what’s on the outside and that’s answers the answer yes. The message that he aims to send is maybe he’s saying that she’s beautiful and that’s when he compared her to something that he finds beautiful which is a garden. According to this poem, I’m in the middle because the only way he described her beauty was by comparing her a garden.(Also, does its always have to be on the outside?) This is said because in the first stanza Thomas states “ Then he compares her to a garden which he finds beautiful and starts describing and being more detailed with things he finds beautiful other than the garden. Furthermore, not only is campion answering the question by the way the poem is written he is also using different types of poetic devices. For example, the same way he answered the first question by stating “Which when her lovely laughter shows” he uses alliteration with the letters Wh , Campion used that twice. Then he breaks his pattern to then start a new one with the letters L , Why did he do that ? Not only did Thomas use alliteration in lines 9 but he also uses it in lines 3-4 (“Wherein all pleasant fruits do flow”) and line 14 (“Her brows like bended bows do stand”). Moreover, there is also anaphora used in lines 13 and 14 (Her eyes like angels watch them still, Her brows like bended bows do stand).

CC BY-SA 4.0 Do men go based off of what’s on the outside? by Kurtina is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.