A little over a year ago in the McKinley Park area, an asphalt plant was built without alerting or informing the residents of the community. This sparked controversy and backlash towards the company, as its residents felt this was not an environmentally friendly addition to the neighborhood. Receiving media attention from the Chicago Tribune, this group of residents spoke out against the establishment of the plant. Here we are a year later and the plant’s application for the IEPA has been denied, after estimating the plant had the potential to emit more than 10 times the acceptable amount of toxic particulate matter. If anyone is interested in acting upon this issue we are seeking to make some change in the community.

gcordova3@cps.edu

CC BY-SA 4.0 Asphalt Plant in McKinley by Gregorio is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.