At the starting age of 3 years, children begin to be curious with their surroundings and attempt to act, speak, and dress at times like adults.

Preschool gives children an opportunity to show growth in their early life. Children learn how to listen and follow instructions from their teacher(s) when doing activities in class. When listening to instructions, they attempt to ask questions about what they’re doing and begin telling their personal stories. When this occurs teachers tell them that it’s not the right time to speak of that until lunch time or play time.

Children are also experimenting with using words and learning to write them out. There are plenty of times when preschoolers know how to say a word but don’t know how to write it down. For example, at Curie High School (located in Chicago), we have a preschool major where children first start they’re about 3 years old. They most of the time are shy and will say their name and sometimes their age. The only difficulty they have is spelling out their name and writing it out. What we as teachers do with preschoolers to help them out is first show them how to grab a pencil, then sound out their name to help them hear the letters in their name. After a year or so, they begin to grab the pencil correctly and able to write down their name

Preschool is also a place where children learn to interact with others and expand their creativity. During play time, children learn to share toys and play with other children that are in their class. This allows them to learn communication skills and learn manners. During these interactions, it develops their brain to think more and expand at the same time. They exchange words that they may not know which leads to asking one another what it means. This improves their vocabulary leading to using those words frequently.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is preschool beneficial for kids? by Natasha is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tomas 1 week ago

Natasha, thank you expressing your opinion. I completely agree with you. Putting young kids in preschool can only be beneficial. It can help kids create friendly relationships and the basics of education. It helps them to understand how school works, and can even advance their vocabulary by very much. This link explains a few reasons why preschool is beneficial: https://novakdjokovicfoundation.org/6-reasons-why-preschool-is-good-for-your-child/. I specifically agree with you point “During these interactions, it develops their brain to think more and expand at the same time.” Schooling for these young kids can only help their development and push them into becoming better kids.

2. Ellie 1 week ago

Natasha, I enjoyed reading your article on preschool as it is a prevailing debate in the current society. I agree with you when you say that “Preschool is also a place where children learn to interact with others and expand their creativity. During play time, children learn to share toys and play with other children that are in their class.” I believe that children will develop necessary social skills early on by interacting with a wide range of people. I was also enrolled in preschool because both of my parents worked and I had made the most valuable friendships there. https://vittana.org/14-biggest-pros-and-cons-of-preschool Here is an article that might interest you. I would love to hear back from you after you address the cons of preschool mentioned in this article. Great Job!

3. Madi 2 weeks ago

Hi Natasha,
    I enjoyed reading your post and agree that even though preschool isn’t strenuous, it still gives a child the opportunity to learn, interact with others and expand their creativity. You made a lot of good points about your topic and I liked how you gave specific examples of the benefits of preschool. I found a good source that shows both sides of your argument: https://sites.psu.edu/aspsy/2019/03/25/is-preschool-beneficial/

Madi

4. Matthew 2 weeks ago

Hi Natasha, I agree that preschool is beneficial for children. I feel that being with your peers, especially at a developing age like they are, is integral to learning and growing. Here you learn teamwork, manners, etc, which children need to be ready in future schooling.

Thanks,
    Matthew

5. Francisco 5 months ago

I agree because it does teach the kids some simple things that will make it easier to teach them for kindergarden. Having children that have not learned it will make it harder to teach the whole class.

6. Ricky Herrera 5 months ago

My name is Ricky Herrera and I attend BOYCP. I was reading your article and found most of the points you made very interesting. Also, children are the future of our country and society so having them do something that isn’t beneficial doesn’t seem like time well spent.

7. Gabriela 5 months ago

My name is Gabriela and I am a BOYCP student, I found this article very interesting because I did not know that Curie took in consideration a child’s learning skills which for me personally is very important. Many children are not allowed to enroll into school because of their age, behavior, or abilities to do personal things by themselves. I think that more high schools should also keep in mind that these children are the future generations and we should focus on strengthening their skills to avoid struggling with simple tasks. I am wondering why the title of the post is named like it is but nice article !

8. Janely 5 months ago

Dear Natasha, I completely agree. Brain development begins sooner than we think. I have a 10-month-old nephew who has learned to mimic many things we do. I believe by having children attend sooner have a higher chance of being more advanced by the time they are in kindergarten. I know many of my friends didn’t go to pre-k or if they did they took it twice. I personally don’t know if this is a good or bad thing but I’m sure there are some studies that can back this up.

9. Janely Sanchez 5 months ago

10. Alex 5 months ago

I agree with this post this is great for the upcoming generation because they have to start off early to prepare for grammar school.

11. Dekyra 5 months ago

Dear Natasha, I thought that your post about preschool was very interesting. I agree when you say when children goes to preschool at young age they get to learn and grown because, they are interacting with other children. Your post has me thinking why do others feel like preschool isn’t good for children?

12. Nereida 5 months ago

I agree with this post I feel like preschool is necessary because the best age to learn new things is as kids. I feel like as kids need preschool in order to be successful further down the school timeline. In preschool you get a jump start in which you learn how to speak properly and learn your shapes so when you hit kindergarten year you are already prepared.

13. Leslie 5 months ago

I agree with this post, ever since the former Mayor removed preschool it’s been an issue. Kids should be able to learn at the age where they become more active in the process. There’s a certain age in which kids learn the most, allowing them to learn early helps them strive and be prepared for the future.