Hip Hop is a popular genre of music that began among inner-city African-American Youth, in the early 1970s, it uses rap, funk, street sounds, and pieces of melody and rhythm from old records (i.e sampling). Hip-Hop has never been just a genre of music. Hip-Hop is a form of culture and personal expression that incorporates different elements of art. The original four elements of Hip Hop include; MCing – (Rappers), B-boying –(Breakdancing), Aerosol (or Graffiti) –, and finally the DJ. The hip hop paradox began during the late 60’s. Hip hop was first introduced in the Bronx, New York by DJ “Kool Herc”. Hip hop is divided into two eras, the old school era (1970-1985) and the golden age era (1985-1993).There are many different styles of hip hop out there for people to listen to. A couple of them are gangsta rap, conscious rap, and trap. My favorite is a mix between conscious rap and gangsta rap.

I fell in love with hiphop my 8th grade. I used to think it was only about rapper flashing their money and bragging about how drugs were cool and the amount of women they got with and while it is true to some degree, there is more to hip hop than just that. When I first listened to Tupac’s song Keep ya head it made me feel some type of way. I think I actually cried when I first heard it. I felt like what was said on that song was some of the realest shit I have ever heard in my entire life. It spoke volumes to me, the message in the song is an ode to women especially to those oppressed (mainly black women) saying that we should always strive no matter what and he also address’ how men should respect and be protectors to women everywhere. After that first time I dove straight in. Anything, Anything I could find to make me feel like that again and just make me feel calm. I found the same vibes from other artist like, Nas, Lauryn Hill, The Notorious BIG, Da brat, and groups like Junior Mafia, Salt n Pepa, TLC, and NWA.

As I immersed myself into this scene I slowly started to feel more optimistic and aware about the struggles going on in the world. I started to go beyond just the music because hip hop is its own culture. It’s about the beats rhythm, the meaning behind lyrics and the quality of wordplay, the battles, it’s about the dance to it, the art, the clothes and the feeling. I would listen to any sort of hip hop, find any new artist and just listen to them for hours. This routine of just listening to good rappers spit about shit that actually mattered made me feel like there was actually a voice out there for us. That what I felt and what I have experienced mattered. That I mattered,and that that I wasn’t alone.Listening to hip hop benefited me in many ways. It was made me more outgoing, more comfortable about myself and taste in weirdness and it also helped me focus more on my work. Especially in writing for English, listening to Hip Hop made me calm down and focus more therefore improve on my skills. Hip hop made me who I am today. It made me aware and unafraid to say what I really think about what’s going on right now in the world.

You should start to listen to Hip hop because it is real and it has so many emotions and eye catching moments that will change you and make you feel apart of something bigger in the world. There is a really good show on Netflix about a young group of mcs trying to change their environment and speak on hats going on while having fun and going through real life obstacles, “The Get Down”.

There are many different styles of hip hop out there for people to listen to. A couple of them are gangsta rap, conscious rap, and trap. My favorite is a mix between conscious rap and gangsta rap. I fell in love with hiphop my 8th grade. I used to think it was only about rapper flashing their money and bragging about how drugs were cool and the amount of women they got with and while it is true to some degree, there is more to hip hop than just that. When I first listened to Tupac’s song Keep ya head it made me feel some type of way. I think I actually cried when I first heard it. I felt like what was said on that song was some of the realest shit I have ever heard in my entire life. It spoke volumes to me, the message in the song is an ode to women especially to those oppressed (mainly black women) saying that we should always strive no matter what and he also address’ how men should respect and be protectors to women everywhere. After that first time I dove straight in. Anything, Anything I could find to make me feel like that again and just make me feel calm. I found the same vibes from other artist like, Nas, Lauryn Hill, The Notorious BIG, Da brat, and groups like Junior Mafia, Salt n Pepa, TLC, and NWA.

As I immersed myself into this scene I slowly started to feel more optimistic and aware about the struggles going on in the world. I started to go beyond just the music because hip hop is its own culture. It’s about the beats rhythm, the meaning behind lyrics and the quality of wordplay, the battles, it’s about the dance to it, the art, the clothes and the feeling. I would listen to any sort of hip hop, find any new artist and just listen to them for hours. This routine of just listening to good rappers spit about shit that actually mattered made me feel like there was actually a voice out there for us. That what I felt and what I have experienced mattered. That I mattered,and that that I wasn’t alone.Listening to hip hop benefitted me in many ways. It was made me more outgoing, more comfortable about myself and taste in weirdness and it also helped me focus more on my work. Especially in writing for english listening to Hip Hop made me calm down and focus more therefore improve on my skills. Hip hop made me who I am today. It made me aware and unafraid to say what I really think about what’s going on right now in the world.

You should start to listen to Hip hop because it is real and it has so many emotions and eye catching moments that will change you and make you feel apart of something bigger in the world. There is a really good show on netflix about a young group of mcs trying to change their environment and speak on hats going on while having fun and going through real life obstacles, “The Get Down”.

Listening to hip hop benefitted me in many ways. It was made me more outgoing, more comfortable about myself and taste in weirdness and it also helped me focus more on my work. Especially in writing for english listening to Hip Hop made me calm down and focus more therefore improve on my skills. Hip hop made me who I am today. It made me aware and unafraid to say what I really think about what’s going on right now in the world. You should start to listen to Hip hop because it is real and it has so many emotions and eye catching moments that will change you and make you feel apart of something bigger in the world. There is a really good show on netflix about a young group of mcs trying to change their environment and speak on hats going on while having fun and going through real life obstacles, “The Get Down”.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Hip Hop by vané is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Benjamin 3 weeks ago

Vané, I do love hip hop too and I do believe there is more to it than just people trying to flex. Some songs and lyrics are really moving and keep people heads up.

2. Taedo 4 months ago

this was nice i love to learn more about hip hop and artists that made hip hop so popular.