,

Two questions that this poem raises for me are:

• Do I look at myself as bright as this Tyger?
  • Does this Tyger have any flaws?

The question I want to go in depth with is: Do I look at myself the same way Blake looks at this Tyger? The poem does not necessarily answer this question, but it does give us some insight into finding one. It’d take some self-reflection, but also some comparison. The Tyger is so great, bright and undying which can’t be touched by anything.

In the fourth line of the last stanza, Blake is asking what would dare to frame the symmetry. The fact that William started the poem with this line and ended it leaves us with a pleasant closure. Although we may not know what the Tyger is, we’re left with the question of how this being of the Tyger is so great.

The way that William starts the poem with the last line of the first stanza with, “Could frame thy fearful symmetry?” leaves us with a sign of confusion since we lack knowledge of what the Tyger is to become. The comment clearly establishes a basic understanding of how Blake leaves us at the beginning of the poem with a sense of suspense but closes off with “Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?” which close out with us knowing that this Tyger is great but what dare goes against it?

In the second line of the second stanza, Blake is asking what would dare to frame the symmetry? Angelina, one of my classmates, asks, “Is he saying that the tiger eyes are fire? Because when you think of fire you think of someone or something big and bad. So is he saying that he has become stronger?

Angelina’s question stands out to me in particular because it opens up my eyes to a perspective I haven’t thought from. Maybe the Tyger is being represented this way because Blake wants to deepen our understanding of the Tyger. Angelina has helped me realize that the Tyger is being shown as big and bright but also as strong, fearless and untouchable.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Questions About “The Tyger” by William Blake by Joshua is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.