Throughout generations, parents have assumed their children wouldn’t make mistakes in life, despite their older siblings making them. What parents forget when it comes to their children is everyone makes mistakes. Even if your siblings have made mistakes, doesn’t mean  you can’t. Yes, you should learn from them, but not everyone learns through example, some learn through experience.

I grew up with two older brothers who are 6 and 8 years apart from me. We lived in a neighborhood where gangs were active and during these times my parents constantly worked to pay the bills; mostly had the night shift. So growing up, I first handedly experienced my brothers make mistakes. As I got older, my parents began to put pressure on me to be the “perfect” daughter. To be better than what my brothers were. But what they didn’t know was, I had no role models, I was the oldest girl- since I have a sister who’s five years younger than I am. So my role models were my brothers and I wanted to be like them. I began to act out and make my choices. I’ve grown and learned that that’s not who I want to be. Don’t get me wrong, I do not regret my past nor the choices I’ve made, but I know that’s not the life I want to continue to live.         

Life is anything but easy. I learned that at the age of 10. I’ve seen, felt, and been through so much throughout the years. My parents think I regret what i’ve done, but the truth is I’m don’t. Every action I did has shaped me into the person I am today. I am very proud of who I am now. I’ve fought many battles to get here and I had fun through it all. Once I got into high school I decided I no longer wanted to follow my brothers steps and decided to focus on school and my future. I am now trying to be the role model I wish I had growing up for my now 13 year old sister.   

I think a lot of parents want their children to not make mistakes and just have an easy happy life, but they don’t realize how unrealistic that is. I know it isn’t the best to see your child struggle, but you have to fall to learn to walk. Nothing in life is easy, and I get why parents try to keep us from making mistakes- but we need to learn and move forward. Without making mistakes you’ve learned nothing. I do hope my sister does better than my brothers and I, but I also know she will experience her own struggles. Regardless of them, I want her to know it’s okay to mess up. No one in life is perfect and sin free, and more people need to remember that. I just hope she doesn’t let them define her and let others opinions get to her. Just always remember that moment, that feeling- so when you become a parent you won’t make the same mistakes. People will always talk, so just go out and do what makes you happy. You gotta live with yourself for the rest of your life. Why aren’t you having fun yet?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Learning from your family’s mistakes by Anonymous is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.