My race and social justice class had this big project to present for Brooklyn Connections, based on the Civil Rights movement in Brooklyn. Doing this project was stressful but really exciting at the same time. Learning about my community and how it was back during the Civil Rights movement was very interesting. For our project we decided to create a quilt based on different protests that occurred in Brooklyn 1950s – 1960s, such as the Bibuld Family Protest, Downstate Medical Center,  School Boycott, Ebinger’s bakery and Operation Cleansweep. Doing this project meant a whole lot of research on these different protests, so we were split into different groups to work on each protest to make our lives easier. I specifically turned into an expert on the Bibuld family, which was an interracial family that fought for integrated schools and equal education. For the quilt we didn’t really do much stitching we actually glued much of the quilt together with specially fabric glue which was very messy. We glued the quilt pieces together as well as glued the pictures on the quilt and stitched on a black border around the quilt. Doing this project was extremely fun, not only because we created a quilt but also because we got to learn about the history of my community.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Learning About the History of My Community by Kimani is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J5aE4fzA2Et4y5RiRF-c-RZCgWVDgCx95g1dNibUyUk/edit?usp=sharing.