“like a hook into an eye”, “you fit into me” comes before it and “a fish hook” comes after it. The role this line plays in the poem is that it misleads the reader into thinking that she’s talking about a hook and an eye in clothing terms, which would mean that they fit together. But then later on in the poem you can tell that she’s describing a fish hook and an open eye, which is disturbing and a bit scary, and i think she’s trying to show us that everything isn’t what it seems to be. I thought that she was going to be talking about a relationship where they seem like the perfect match but they aren’t, either she’s getting hurt or something else disturbing is going on. This poem makes me think a lot about why people do the things they do, what separates a smart decision from a bad one, and i think the real way to determine that is thinking about consequences, is it worth it? Even if it wasn’t would it be a good learning experience? So assuming that when she says you fit into me, she’s talking about a significant other, now this can go both ways as she might mean it sexually, or she could of meant it spiritually, or emotionally even. But she covers it up in the beginning by misleading the reader into thinking she has a good relationship because they are a fit for each other, but then it comes to place where something disturbing happen, which kind of makes me wonder. Why do people get into these relationships in the first place and why don’t they leave? Is her suffering right now worth it? What does she even get out of it.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My question is about what separates a smart decision from a bad one? by Anjelina is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Mariam 4 months ago

Dear Anjelina:
    I am shocked by your post, “My question is about why do people do the things they do? what separates a smart decision from a bad one?,” because of the way that your ideas gradually change the more you analyze your poem.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “But then later on in the poem you can tell that she’s describing a fish hook and an open eye, which is disturbing and a bit scary, and i think she’s trying to show us that everything isn’t what it seems to be.” I think this is thoughtful because after thinking about the poem and it’s meaning you reflect on a lesson that could be learned.
    Another sentence that I liked was: “This poem makes me think a lot about why people do the things they do, what separates a smart decision from a bad one, and i think the real way to determine that is thinking about consequences, is it worth it? ” This stood out for me because these are questions that we don’t think about but if we did it would help us out in daily life.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your thoughts are very insightful and intellectual.