In the four lines of the first stanza, Bradstreet writes:

If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were loved by wife, then thee. 
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me, ye women, if you can. 

What I think this means is how this woman believes in herself, confident who she is. Saying how she can’t be compared to no other woman. She writes, “Compare with me, ye women, if you can.” What this comment raises to me is how to be confident in yourself, that everybody isn’t you. You are you, and nobody can ever change that about you.

In the first line of the first stanza, Bradstreet writes:

If ever two were one, then surely we.

What I think this means that it always going to be them two, them together is a whole. This is the start of the poem which makes me think that the speaker is going to describe her love life or her strong relationship. This statement also reminds me of a quote I heard of. It said that we have two of everything in our human forms but we don’t have two hearts because we have to find our missing piece. What this comment raise to me is how a woman sees love between two people.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Questions about “To My Dear Loving Husband” by Anne Bradstreet by Charissa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.