One of the most interesting lines in Edgar Allen Poe’s poem “The Raven” is in stanza 15, line 1.  the speaker is freaking out and is talking about how the raven is a devil. What came before this was that the raven kept on saying “nevermore” which drove the speaker crazy. And what comes after is that the speaker is asking the Raven questions and demanding the raven to answer but the only thing it say is “Nevermore”.“Prophet!” said I, “thing of evil!—prophet still, if bird or devil!” Since the Raven is making the speaker crazy by saying “nevermore” the speaker thinks that the raven is the devil or something evil that has come to hunt him. Perhaps The speaker knows what he did wrong to think that the devil has come. Which brings the reader to the discovery that the speaker is a murderer and he killed the girl who he speaks of — Lenore. A big question about life that the line raises for me is, do people fear what they don’t know? The poem answers this question with a “Yes”, by having the speaker calling a bird a devil and being scared of it because he doesn’t know why it seems to be speaking the word, “nevermore”.

In stanza 5, line 2 is another interesting line.  The speaker says that he saw nothing in his chamber door but he  tapping and when he opens the door he finds nothing which scares him and after he breaks the silence by saying “Lenore”. This line fits in with the poem because the speaker is losing it and saying crazy thing like “Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before” This line is interesting because it’s the line where the speaker loses his sanity. When he say no dream nor mortal ever dreamed before, this clearly states that what he dreamt it wasn’t sane. If anything that seems unreasonable shows up the speaker would believe it. A question the line makes me feel is, what does it take to be sane? The poem answers it by stating that the speaker seen something that no sane person would ever think of.

A big personal question about life the poem bring up for me is what make a person sane or insane? What makes me feel that the poem is life question is this because of the inhumane acts the speaker is doing.  Also the word choice the speaker does it doesn’t seem like he is sane. More like the speaker is trying to prove to himself that he isn’t insane. Some ideas that have been amplified by this poem is that people don’t know whether they are sane or insane. People might think that they are sane and do acts that make them feel sane but they are actually far from that. Like by the speaker claiming that the raven is the devil making himself feel better about his sanity. “Prophet!” said I, “thing of evil!—prophet still, if bird or devil!” (paragraph 15 line 1) This prove that the speaker is convening himself that the bird is evil so he could feel like he is human.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Questions about “The Raven” by Edgar Allen Poe by Octavio is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.