What does love really mean? This poem of W. H. Auden’s answers this question with a deep explanation from the speaker’s perspective. The poem’s sound, in particular, makes the reader think about the effect that love can have on people.

In the sixth and seventh line of the second stanza, W.H Auden is basically talking about a lover that he has or someone that he loves, or about someone who has a lover. He talks about someone singing under some sort of arch. He writes, “ I heard a lover sing under an arch of the railway”. Most people would not sing under a bridge to their lover. Why is he saying he heard a lover? Is this his lover or just someone with a beautiful voice? This poem is a kind of love poem written towards a lover, so it’s probably his or the person he is writing about lover.

CC BY-SA 4.0 A Close Reading of “As I Walked Out One Evening” by Vanessa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.