The author started her poem with “My heart is like a singing bird” to show the reader how excited she felt. Then she said “Whose nest is in a water’d shoot;” to represent that her heart felt like it was filled with lushness and fertility. I commented “Maybe her heart is pounding so hard that it sounds like a beat or a song.” Was her love the celebration of her birthday or was it someone she loved? I want to know why because the title says “A Birthday”,but the poem doesn’t mention her birthday. The poem answers this question by explaining that the author’s love was probably the best gift for her birthday.

The poem makes me wonder “Who was her love?” and “When was her birthday?”. The poem answers “Who was her love?” by portraying her love as someone who supported the author. I know because she said “Because my love is come to me.” This proves my prediction more because it represents the reason why the author seemed happy. It must’ve been the best birthday she’s ever had.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My questions about the poem “A Birthday,” by Christina Rossetti by Ashley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Author
    Ashley 7 months ago

Dear Chloe,

Thank you for your comment. I’m glad it helped you understand my poem more.

2. Chloe 7 months ago

Dear Ashley :

I am interested about your poem, “A Birthday,” because of the line the author started the poem with. Also, the title of the poem is very creative to me.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “The author started her poem with “My heart is like a singing bird” to show the reader how excited she felt. Then she said “Whose nest is in a water’d shoot;” to represent that her heart felt like it was filled with lushness and fertility. I commented “Maybe her heart is pounding so hard that it sounds like a beat or a song.” ” I think this is relatable because I also don’t see how it’s about a birthday.

Another sentence that stood out to me was: “The poem makes me wonder “Who was her love?” and “When was her birthday?”. The poem answers “Who was her love?” by portraying her love as someone who supported the author. I know because she said “Because my love is come to me.” This proves my prediction more because it represents the reason why the author seemed happy. It must’ve been the best birthday she’s ever had.” This stood out for me because now I see why the poem is called “A Birthday”.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.