One of the most intriguing lines I’ve selected from this poem is line 40: “But it’s no different here.”

I can tell that the poet feels as though migrating there was a terrible decision. He expresses that where he is just as bad as where he came from. The poem makes me wonder to we sometimes set our expectations so high only to be disappointed in life? This poem answers my question because it shows me that sometimes in the life we set ur expectations so high like the immigrants only to be disappointed by the reality. If the immigrants did not expect so much based on what they heard then they probably wouldn’t be as frustrated and disappointed as they were now.

The line from the second comment that I chose is the sixteenth line in the second paragraph. “no mixing of cultures, let them stay apart,”. The fact that they segregated the groups should of been a red flag from the jump. if this is suppose to be a new world all things like segregation/ racism/ financial status shouldn’t even exists. This line makes me question why these things would exist in such a “perfect, new world”? The poem answers this question by showing the reader that this “new world” actually doesn’t exist since people already inhabited this “world”, that a new world doesn’t have all of these problems.
When reading a poem like this, the question arises in my mind: Do we sometimes set out expectations so high to the point where we are put into a position where you are prone to be disappointed. The poem answers the question by starting off and telling the reader that he was hopeful, throughout the poem the tone changes and starts to become doubtful. He shows that through the experience of an immigrant migrating somewhere and being disappointed. He tells the experiences not only using tone but DICTION! The choice of word envokes the feeling of actually being imprisoned.  One of my ideas that have amplified as a result of this poem is the fact that we are to experience disappointment if we set the bar for something so high in our lives.

On one hand, this poem raises a question for me: Do we sometimes set out expectations so high to the point where we are put into a position where your prone to be disappointed. The poem answers the question by starting off and telling the reader that he was hopeful, throughout the poem the tone changes and starts to become doubtful. He shows that through  experience of an immigrant migrating somewhere and being disappointed. He tells the experiences not only using tone but DICTION! The choice of word evokes the feeling of actually being imprisoned.  One of my ideas that have amplified as a result of tis poem is the fact that we are to experience disappointment if we set the bar for something so high in our lives.  

On the other hand, it’s about people who have only a choiceless choice to make:  stay in their country and risk not being able to survive, or attempt to migrate to another place.  The American Dream lures them into believing that opportunity will be at their door step awaiting them.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Questions about Baca’s poem “Immigrants in Our Own Land.” by Keeba is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Anaee 3 months ago

Dear Keeba :
    I am mesmerised with your writing from your post, “Questions about Baca’s poem,” because i like the topic and how interesting your questions are.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “This line makes me question why these things would exist in such a ‘perfect, new world’?” I think this is a very good provocative question you asked and asking questions like that is what keeps the conversation of this poem going. Also the topic of the poem is very very important and I am glad you chose it and talked about it
    Another sentence that intrigued me was: “On the other hand, it’s about people who have only a choiceless choice to make: stay in their country and risk not being able to survive, or attempt to migrate to another place. ” This stood out for me because this is also a very bold statement that i agree with. Immigrants just want the best so they have two very difficult choices
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.