,

In the second line of the second stanza, Plath expresses her hatred for her father. She writes, “You died before I had time—.”  Had time for what? This is a turn because in the previous line she says she had to kill him. Why would she want to kill him but suddenly regrets not having time with her father?.  This line raises the question of what happened to her father and what makes her hate him so much.

In the fourth and fifth lines of the seventh stanza, Plath starts to compare herself to a Jew during the time of the holocaust. She writes, “I began to talk like a Jew. I think I may well be a Jew.” Why is she comparing herself to a Jew and what does she mean that she is talking like one? The lines raise questions about what she felt that made her make that comparison and how her father fits into that.

This poem brings up questions about Plath and her relationship with her father. Throughout the poem Plath writes about killing her father and calls him Hitler. I am wondering why she does this and what he did to make her do this. The poem doesn’t really go into this because it is more about her thoughts and feelings towards her father than what he did to make her think and feel those things.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Questions About “Daddy” by Sylvia Plath by Nathan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Coleman 4 weeks ago

Dear Nate :
    I am Impressed by your post, “Questions About “Daddy” by Sylvia Plath” because of your insightful questions and comments towards Sylvia Plath’s “Daddy”
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “She writes, “I began to talk like a Jew. I think I may well be a Jew.” Why is she comparing herself to a Jew and what does she mean that she is talking like one? The lines raise questions about what she felt that made her make that comparison and how her father fits into that.” I think this is interesting because she also mentions nazis in the poem and it’s making me wonder if something made her become a jew and if it has anything to do with her father.
    Another sentence that I enjoyed was: “Had time for what? This is a turn because in the previous line she says she had to kill him. Why would she want to kill him but suddenly regrets not having time with her father?. This line raises the question of what happened to her father and what makes her hate him so much.” This stood out for me because I also had the same thought about that stanza.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you have very interesting thoughts.

2. Keeba 4 weeks ago

Dear Nate, thanks for this great post. This poem seems to be very intriguing. Do you think that maybe she had a bad childhood and she probably has been traumatized. When continuing to analyze this poem you should look at some psychoanalytical lenses. They help you to understand how relationships from any point in your life affect you when you get older. This will definitely be crucial when your trying to come up with a strong claim.

3. Jovana 4 weeks ago

Dear Nate, thank you for your post. I have read this poem and I think it is really interesting for analyzing. I am wondering what’s relationship this girl has with her father and what makes her hate him so much… You said: “She writes, “You died before I had time—.” Had time for what? ” -I am also confused, time for what? Did they started something that’s not done? Maybe before she can really meet his personality? I am looking forward for your next writing, and I hope it will be as good as this one.