I chose the digital activism topic of littering in New York City because I am concerned about the sanitation in New York City. Growing up in NYC, I personally want NYC to be known as the best city in the world for its sanitation, as it is known for its very tall skyscrapers and as the city that never sleeps. I started this blog and petition to ensure that our city thrives well and provides the people living in it a healthy environment! Recently, I made a video presentation addressing marine litter, and the impacts it has on the diverse marine life in the oceans.

Specifically, in this video I discussed the numerous ways marine litter can harm ocean ecosystems. Marine litter includes glass, metal, cigarette butts, bags, food wrappers, containers, beverage bottles, beverage cans, and other waste. Marine litter is predominantly composed of plastic, such as plastic bags, bottles, wrappers, and much more. As a result of accidentally ingesting this litter, marine species may choke, entangle, starve, or drown. Littering has dire consequences upon not only ocean ecosystems and marine life, but on your environment and local community as well. There are many ways you can prevent your community from being impacted by littering. These options include: participating in a community clean-up, making sure your trash is secured, recycling and reusing, and spreading the word. To conclude, I made this video because I wanted people to learn about the impacts of littering on marine life, and also help people realize that although littering is a problem, there are numerous ways to fix it. I wanted people to know what these solutions were and work together to establish a litter-free future fro themselves and future generations!

#nolittering #solutiontopollution #feedthecanman #sanitation4nyc

Click on this link to watch the full video:

Click on this link to check out our blog:

https://sanitation4nyc.wordpress.com/

CC BY-SA 4.0 Littering in NYC by Ritwika is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Nicole 3 months ago

Sorry about this but i accidentally posted this on someone else’s account because they forgot to log out.

Dear Ritwika,

I agree with your claims about wanting NYC to be the best city in the world for sanitation. I think personally that New York is very dirty and has lots of litter everywhere. I am glad you talked about how marine litter effects ocean ecosystems like when you said “As a result of accidentally ingesting this litter, marine species may choke, entangle, starve, or drown.” We all need to make a change in helping to save the marine life and its ecosystems by not littering. We all can do a small deed which will help lead to a bigger change. “These options include: participating in a community clean-up, making sure your trash is secured, recycling and reusing, and spreading the word.” This stood out to me because i love how you gave people options on how they can help save our environment. Thanks for you writing! I look forward to reading more of your posts about litter.

2. Dina I. 3 months ago

Dear Ritwika,