What I know is that the military, specifically the army, is that it is very strict. For instance, at certain times a person who is enlisted in the army must do things and also play by the rules. Army people have to wake up on time and be ready to go at a certain time if not, there are very serious consequences. The army requires a lot of discipline. I am really interested in how the military builds leaders. I hope that the military teaches me to be a more patient person, remain calmer, and help me get through the day.

I am interested in understanding how the military changes people. Is it common for someone to enter the military and change for the better? I am also interested in how the military changes people in negative ways too. Like, are mental health issues addressed in the military? In the military, if a person is not in charge how do they learn to follow orders? Will I learn patience and calmness if I enroll?

“The military attracts certain personality types in the first place, including people who tend to be lower in agreeableness, as well as generally less anxious and less open to new experiences (in other words, people who like rules). But in controlling for these self-selection biases, the researchers still found that military service leaves a lasting impression on the personalities of people in a way that few other experiences do.”

https://psmag.com/social-justice/how-the-military-can-change-personalities-slightly-40069

1. Alexander 7 months ago

Lucky,
    I can tell that you clearly have an interest in enlisting. I have an uncle in the military, special forces to be exact, and he talks about how the military was the best thing that ever happened to him. Before joining he was in a very bad place, dealing with a lot of problems. He always talks about how the military and it’s strict standards really helped form him into a better person. While the standards are strict, they will likely end up benefiting you in the end. I really enjoy the fact that you are interested in a question that differs from the common topics. Your question “Is it common for someone to enter the military and change for the better?” is one that I feel many people would say yes too. Here is an article about somebody who joined the military and their experiences. https://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/building-a-gi-from-scratch.html

2. Megan 7 months ago

Lucky,

Your article is very interesting, and I can see why you chose to write about it! Often times, people don’t address the “heated questions,” such as the one you brought up, when in reality it is those ones that need to be discussed the most! Through the amount of people who go through this process, it is necessary to understand how they are treated and how it may affect their mental and emotional state. I would go further in depth on the reasonings behind the changes. Heres a link to an article I believe would help. (https://www.nap.edu/read/12023/chapter/9)
    Thanks for bringing up this question and reflecting on it, it was very interesting to read!

3. 2020 Sophia Ewing 8 months ago

Hey lucky! As someone who is applying to attend one of the military academies, I have done lots of research and thinking about how I will change if I go there. The academies have their rules so they can break you down and build you back up as a team. The strict rules are not just there for personal reasons, but for the betterment of the team. If the team cannot complete a task together fast and efficiently, then they will not be ready for war, the ultimate reason people train.
    I do not think you will learn calmness but rather learn how to better handle stressful situations. The conditions you go through during training will better prepare you for war so the situations you go through have to make you think in a different way you are maybe not used to.
    Here is a link that I found about mental health in the military that you might find interesting.
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/202463

4. Mary 1 year ago

Lucky,
    I think it’s great that you’re interested in the army and how well it works. It’s true it is very strict because it’s designed to teach you discipline and respect. It’s also interesting that you’re thinking of these high level questions about the military. For example, “are mental health issues addressed in the military?” This is good question to ask because they go through dangerous and traumatic things on a regular basis so being able to see if they are being taken care of is something good to think about. Here’s an article from theatlantic I think you’d might like about the need for people in the military to receive psychological help. (https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/01/the-urgent-need-for-confidential-psychological-care-for-us-military/266381/) I really enjoyed this article and hope to see more writing from you soon.
    Mary