,

My first impressions of this poem is how can a guy love this person so much and means the world to him.  It makes me feel surprised but at the same time shocked. However a line that especially evokes the first feeling for me is line 9. Line 9 W.H Auden wrote twice was “i’ll love you ,dear, i’ll love you till china and africa meet.”  But on the other hand line 13 “O stand, stand at the window As the tears scald and start; You shall love your crooked neighbour With your crooked heart” evokes the feeling of the context.

This poem is about time, love, man with the natural world and death. The line “But all the clocks in the city Began to whirr and chime: O let not Time deceive you, You cannot conquer Time.” It maintains the sense of Time’s power and mystique.

The speaker seems to be speaking to a lover, and perhaps to himself.  I say this because it says” I heard a lover sing Under an arch of the railway ‘Love has no ending”. The poem springs from a particular historical moment specifically.  The poem revolves around several themes, including love and imagination.  

If this poem were a question, the answer would be “Never stop loving the person you love no matter what”.  If it were an answer, question would be “What would you say to a lover?”

The poem takes form is a carpe diem. This form is a vehicle for the content of the poem.  If the poem were a Rondeau, it would not guide me toward an understanding of the poem’s meaning. This form “ Carpe diem” actually shape the meaning because it stands ‘Seize the day.’

CC BY-SA 4.0 Initial Analysis of ” As I Walked Out One Evening” by W.H Auden by Vanessa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.