I was born in 2003, and have lived in the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan. I’m a person who likes to be creative and to try out new things that can be beneficial later on in my life.  I like to make and create music even if im not good at the instrument, i like to hum a melodic beat and then try to figure out what instrument it would sound best on, and try to find the notes on that said instrument.

One event that changed my life happened when I was thirteen, about to turn fourteen I got a text from my mom that my grandfather was sick and in the hospital. He was in there for a couple of weeks, but after those suspenseful two weeks he was better and went home.We visited him and had fun, laughing and talking about our lives like usual. Two days later I came home and saw her crying on the couch and when I asked her what’s wrong she said “your grandfather passed away”. After that day I was never the same

I like doing band practice and taking guitar classes because I really have a passion for that instrument and music itself. I am good at playing guitar and math. I ethier practice playing guitar or I just hang out with my friends.I am good at learning quickly with anything if its classes or guitar or even technology. I was just naturally always like that and i’ve just been happy about that because it’s nice to have that skill

1. Mariely 1 year ago

Dear isaiah ,

i am interested with your post ” a life of a teen ” because you capture what is like living as a teen and the unexpected moments that may take a toll on us .

one sentence that you wrote that stands out for me is ” two days later i came home and saw her in the couch and when i asked her whats wrong she said ” your grandfather passed away” after that day i wasn’t the same ” i think this is sensitive because many go through these situations and wouldn’t know how to handle them or how to react and and its a situation that leaves a void in our hearts for a while . i relate to this in a sense because i always come home to my mom crying and so i always have to step up and put her at ease and comfort her and its not a easy thing to do being there and also dealing with your own pain, but you are very brave .

Another sentence that intrigued me “I like to make and create music even if i’m not good at the instrument, i like to hum a melodic beat and then try to figure out what instrument it would sound best on, and try to find the notes on that said instrument” this stood out for me because i also like to make music and explore how sounds mold together music is like therapy whenever you need it to ground you and to just feel the moment , id like to learn how to play the guitar too one day .

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me . one time i was home i was like 11 years old i was watching cartoons then all of a sudden my mom comes in and throws the news that one of our dearest aunts died that morning , you would imagine what it would feel like for a kid to handle that but all we feel is lost and then sorrow barges in , all i could’ve done in that moment was comfort my mom and then keep watching the cartoons to distract myself from what was happening but i really couldn’t focus at the time , that moment was very heavy and i still have the vivid memory on it .

Thank you for sharing your story . i look forward to seeing what you write next because i was fascinated on how you capture in such a short way how the life of a teen has many unexpected turns and how our life shapes us in the long way . keep going

2. Jose 1 year ago

Dear Isaiah :

I am interested with your post, “A life of a teen,” because you write about real life experience that one as a human goes through such as there different types of like that one has and that special person that you love such as a family member a loved one or someone you admire like you have said your grandfather.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ Two days later I came home and saw her crying on the couch and when I asked her what’s wrong she said “your grandfather passed away” after that day I wasn’t the same ” I think this is bewildered because I, myself have lost someone that was important to me we were co-workers that have been working together for a long time he taught me a lot he was a German wise man that had time to spare to help you out no matter what the situation is.

Another sentence that I astonished was: “ I know someone I could buy illegal drugs from if I wanted to?” is a question that I feel is unnecessary and [harmful? Inappropriate?] on a community survey for teens and young adults..” This stood out for me because we have many reason why many people don’t tell you that they do some type of drug because there not comfortable telling you or they just don’t care, it’s a disrespect asking a person if they do or sell drugs.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time i was working and as a supervisor you have to make sure everything is running well without any problems, I had a co-worker that i considered my right hand because if i had any type of trouble i would go to him and he would always have a solution to turn anything back on track. When i woke up in the morning of Tuesday, May 14 of 2019 i received a call from my boss and told me what was the last day that Mrs.Singh clocked in i told him that it was Thursday of last week i remembered because that day he invited me to eat with his family he didn’t show up then after that my boss said “ hate to break it up with you kid but i was informed that Mrs.Singh has passed away” he said i was dropped down and couldn’t believe it, i felt like i was done for he was my right hand for any situation he would be there but till this day and till i die[ god forbid] i will never forget him.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because i was very interested to what you wrote many people from across states don’t know each other but could have story that can be common to each other in a sense of certain types of goals and failures that one goes through in life

3. J Johnson 1 year ago

Sorry for your lost. Its beautiful that you have connection with music and your plan on taking it serious. Is music away you cope with life, after a lot of things changed in your life, after your grandfather passed away?

4. Essence Palmer 1 year ago

First & Foremost I am very sorry for your lost. Do you ever begin to think about your grandfather when you are all alone? If so , do you play instruments or make music to try to get him off of your mind? Yes I also agree that the question that you stated is inappropriate for teens when taking a survey.