My first impression of this poem was confusion about the twist at the end. The poem makes me feel joyful, yet, at the same time, startled.  A line that especially evoked the joy for me was, “Tambourine all with price tags dangling like the city morgue ticket on a dead man’s toe”.  But I found myself startled when I read the line, “on a dead man’s toe”. Perhaps because it was a turn i never saw coming.

What I know about the situation – what’s happening in the poem – is that it’s about a person looking through a window describe the music what what it rimand the person of    . What I know about the speaker is that they are the kind of person who makes a quick change. This is suggested by the in line 9 “on a dead man’s toe”.   The speaker seems to be speaking to no one in particular,. The poem Latin Night at the Pawnshop is from a particular culture because it says “Latin” so it’s a hispanic/american.  The poem revolves around several themes, including joy and The Blues.

If this poem were a question, the answer would be “ that you can connect anything”.  If it were an answer, question would be “what do you see/what does it remind you of?”  The title suggests that it’s talking about a night at a pawnshop.

The poem’s form is a Free Verse. This form is a vehicle for the content of the poem.  If the poem were a Couplet, it would not guide me toward an understanding of the poem’s meaning.