,

When I first read this poem I found it very unusual, I was unable to grasp the meaning of the poem. This poem had me feeling perplexed but at the same time content. Honestly the whole poem was perplexing. However, a specific line that brought out this emotion was line 8. Line 8 Shakespeare wrote “On purpose laid to make the taker mad.” On the other hand line 10, “A bliss in proof and proved, a very woe;” evokes the feeling of content.

Sonnet 129 was written in the year 1593. During this time Shakespeare’s close friend, Christopher Marlowe passed away. Marlowe and Shakespeare wrote multiple different things together. Shakespeare has a tendency to write tragedies. With that information I can infer that this sonnet was written about the death of Christopher Marlowe. We can see this tendency through this line specifically line 1 “Th’ expense of spirit in a waste of shame” Throughout the poem the speaker is talking to no one in particular. The speaker is talking in a more general sense. In addition, this poem revolves around 2 themes. The 2 major themes are responsibility and denial.

If this poem were a question, the answer would be that denying responsibility wouldn’t justify the actions that occurred. However, if the poem was a question then it would be, who is responsible for the faults of the world.

The poem takes the form of a sonnet. The sonnet gives the poem a “softer” more romantic side. If it took the form of a narrative then the poem would focus more on Christopher Marlowe’s death. Therefore altering the main idea and themes of the poem.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My first impression of Sonnet 129 by William Shakespeare by Jillian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. KALINA TURKEL 2 months ago

Dear Jillian
    I am thrilled by your post, “My first impression of sonnet 129 by William Shakespeare,” because , I love how you gave background information on the poem, and what william shakespeare was going through at the time, so we(the readers) can get some insight in on the poem lines your talking about.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Sonnet 129 was written in the year 1593. During this time Shakespeare’s close friend, Christopher Marlowe passed away. ” I think it is cool that you included this bit of information because it makes the lines that you said more interesting because now I know the context.
    Another sentence that I liked was: “. Marlowe and Shakespeare wrote multiple different things together. Shakespeare has a tendency to write tragedies. With that information I can infer that this sonnet was written about the death of Christopher Marlowe.” This stood out for me because you made a point and proved it very well and concisely.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your post was very welll thought out, informative, and interesting.
    -Kalina

2. Chloe 2 months ago

Dear Jillian :

I am intrigued by your post “My first impression of Sonnet 129 by William Shakespeare,” because you added the history of the poem and the poet into your post. It really made you analysis even stronger than it already is.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “When I first read this poem I found it very unusual, I was unable to grasp the meaning of the poem. This poem had me feeling perplexed but at the same time content.” I think this is very relatable because I felt the exact same way when I read my gateway poem.

Another sentence that I was: “Sonnet 129 was written in the year 1593. During this time Shakespeare’s close friend, Christopher Marlowe passed away. Marlowe and Shakespeare wrote multiple different things together. Shakespeare has a tendency to write tragedies. ” This stood out for me because you can really tell that the poem you analyzed was about the death of his friend.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you are an amazing writer.