My first impression of this poem was that it was strange that she was comparing herself to a Jew during the holocaust and her father to Hitler. It makes me feel intrigues, yet, at the same time, perplexed.  A line that especially evokes the first feeling for me is, “You do not do, you do not do. Any more, black shoe.” The other feeling of being perplexed arises when I read the line(s), “I began to talk like a Jew. I think I may well be a Jew.”. It is unclear why she is referring to herself as a Jew.

What I know about the situation in the poem is that she has problems with her father. What I know about the speaker is that they are the kind of person who hates her father. This is suggested by the line “Daddy, daddy, you bastard, I’m through.” The speaker seems to be speaking to her father.  I say this because throughout the poem she says the word daddy. The poem springs from a particular historical moment– specifically, The Holocaust and world war two.  The poem revolves around several themes, including Hatred and Suffering.

If this poem were a question, the answer would be Daddy Issues. If it were an answer, the question would be How does the author feel about her father? The title suggests it is about her father.    

The poem’s form is free verse. This form is a vehicle for the content of the poem.  If the poem were an epic, it would not guide me toward an understanding of the poem’s meaning because the metaphors and comparison in the poem wouldn’t work as well.  

CC BY-SA 4.0 Initial Analysis of “Daddy” by Sylvia Plath by Nathan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.