Booker T. Washington Middle School at 108th between Amsterdam & Columbus is a place I grew up, from the age of 6 years old. Booker T. Washington was a place where I went every day after school throughout the school year and in the summertime, we would go on trips and things like that. Booker T. had a lot of opportunity of things to do while being there such as cooking, yoga, basketball, track, football, dance, art classes, and other types of sports.

When I was younger, I use to be apart of the dancing crew and also ran track for a couple of years. I had been there for so long, we all became family. Most of the people I know are from growing up a Booker T. Washington. Booker T. Washington was apart of the “Harlem Children’s Zone” where there are many other after schools like ours, under Harlem children’s zone. Booker T Washington closed down at the end of my 8th grade.

Now I got to another afterschool program called “ETC” that is also under Harlem children zone, still in the same community but different location, different environment, different people also just a whole different type of afterschool. My past afterschool was from pre-K to high school. My current after school is only for high schoolers.

Therefore Booker T will always be a place that will never be forgotten. As a group, we will always be at Booker T Washington Park, watching people play basketball or as the kids that we were on nice days. We would have water fights, barbecues, play football and so many other things that kept us occupied. Even on the cold days, rainy days we will be inside the building cooking, or be in the gym or just doing different type of classes. My childhood will always be a story to tell.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Childhood: A Story to Tell by Charissa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Isaiah 7 months ago

Dear Charissa :
    I am Curious by the age you were when you started going to the park your Photographs of , “A story to tell,” because you show that you are at a basketball court, did you only go to the court when you were younger
    One part of your Life story that stands out for me is where You talk about how much you did when you were younger I think this is interesting because… not a lot of kids do as much as you said you did when you were younger
    Another part that I found interesting is where you went there everyday after school and in the summer This stood out for me because you must have loved that park to go there everyday, showing how much it means to you
    Thanks for your story . I look forward to seeing what you make next, because the amount of detail you put into your writing is amazing, you describe it really well.