1. Author
    Judith 7 months ago

Dear Sergio,
    Thank you for your comment!
    I am happy that the letter was that important to you. Like you stated, our goal was to give voice to those underrepresented so hopefully this letter encouraged you to do the same! If you would like to learn ways to do so, please feel free to contact @everythingrainbowoakland_ on instagram!

2. Olivia 7 months ago

How can middle schoolers make members of the LGBTQ+ community feel welcome through their every day actions? In what ways can I show that I am supportive of all genders and sexualities without being part of a specific organization. I want to help make people feel comfortable. It almost feels like the things proposed in this piece are targeted towards older people, but younger people should not need to be part of an organization. What are some things I can take part in?

Judith 7 months ago

Dear Olivia,
      Thank you for your comment!
      One way you can help the LGBTQ+ community safe is to just provide space for them! The LGBTQ+ community is often silenced so something you can do is encourage others to step down, and let others talk for a change. Also, the best way you can be an ally to someone is to ask them what a good ally to them means. Everyone needs different type of support and others, might not want it at all. It’s better to ask than assume! However, it is not there job to educate you. There’s always lots of room to grow and ways to learn. Also, GSA isn’t necessarily an organization. It is a student led club that can provide emotional support, start discussions and organize school events. Does your school have a GSA? If it doesn’t, maybe YOU’LL be the one to start it. If you are more intereseted in creating a GSA for your school or want to know more, visit the GSA network or just leave a comment here. Or, you can also contact us on our instagram @everythingrainbowoakland_

Good job being an ally!

3. My Name is Sergio 8 months ago

No one directly addresses middle school youth who are struggling with their identity. The targeted audience of this composition is striking, which is what I like about your article, Judith. Even though I did not struggle with my identity as an early adolescent, I know people who have—I appreciate the time you took to address this underrepresented community.