April 22, 2019

Jessica, Beatriz, Ashley

Dear #MeToo Movement (Tarana Burke):

We are writing to this movement because we agree with you. We want to stand up with you.  After hearing someone else’s experience with sexual abuse, you, Tarana Burke, started a nonprofit organization to help victims of sexual harassment/abuse and called your movement #MeToo.  Your movement was effective because #me too got attention from famous people that posted the movement and got everybody’s attention. This was also effective because #me too got victims to talk and share out their stories about being sexually harassed. We want to stand with and be apart of this movement because we agree that women/men shouldn’t be sexually harassed or abused. We are focusing more on people that get sexually harassed in workplaces.

We talked about this picture at the end of the next paragraph

The big issue women are confronting right now is sexual harassment in a workplace. This is true because the highest percentage that gets sexual harass are women. In the article called, “A New Survey Finds 81 Percent Of Women Have Experienced Sexual Harassment” by Rhitu Chatterjee shows the viewers the results of the survey which included women and men telling their stories about sexual harassment. Rhitu Chatterjee claims, “However, 38 percent of women said they experienced sexual harassment at the workplace. Thirty-five percent said they had experienced it at their residence. These experiences are more likely to be assaults and the “most severe forms” of harassment, says Raj”(Chatterjee). This gives a clear vision that 35% of women get sexually harassed at a workplace. This is sad because in general “81% of women get sexually harassed in some point of their life time and only 43% of men get sexually harassed during their lifetime” which shows that women are the target for men. The fact that women got the highest percentage on sexual harassment shows that this can create a stigma towards going outside alone or working around men.  Secondly, the website called “Sexual Harassment And Assault At Work:Understanding the Costs” talks about how the target are women because in more cases men are the ones that sexually harass women. Elysse Shaw explains, “ Sexual harassment and assault at work have serious implications for women and for their employers. Women who are targets may experience a range of negative consequences, including physical and mental health problems, career interruptions, and lower earnings. In addition, sexual harassment may limit or discourage women from advancing into higher paid careers and may contribute to the persistent gender wage gap”(Shaw). This clearly shows an example that men have the ability to control women in work. When a man touches a women inappropriate  in a workplace this makes them feel worthless because you’re treating her like a object. We need to understand this problem because not only do women get paid unfairly they also experience sexual harassment which they won’t be able to forget. Moreover, I found a graph that represent what age do women and men get sexually harassed. The graph shows that women that are 14-17 year old are mostly likely to get sexually harassed during that age (Chatterjee). This shows institutional oppression because in the research men are most likely to harass women in a workplace which shows that men have more power than women. Also, women are scared to share out because men manipulate them so they can keep themselves quite. This is why some women are being a bystander by not standing up for other women because they are scared that something will happen to them.

In order to address this serious issue some people have started organizations for sexual harassment and one of them is the #MeToo Movement as we wrote about before. In the website for the #MeToo Movement there is history about the movement on there so people can know what has happened over time. The GGE wrote, “In less than six months, because of the viral #metoo hashtag, a vital conversation about sexual violence has been thrust into the national dialogue. What started as local grassroots work has expanded to reach a global community of survivors from all walks of life and helped to de-stigmatize the act of surviving by highlighting the breadth and impact of a sexual violence worldwide”. (GGE). This explains how the #MeToo Movement has grown by becoming popular and being known globally by a lot of people based on the awareness they received from people coming out about their experience of sexual violence. The tactic of social change to describe this movement is community organizing since the me too movement helps many victims and offers support because of all the people that come together to work to help victims not be alone and raise awareness to educate others. Moreover, there is an organization called San Francisco Women Against Rape which  provides resources,support, and advocacy to people based on what they explained on their website. SFWAR wrote,“SFWAR Advocates act as a link between medical, legal and social service systems, advocating on behalf of survivors to ensure their rights are respected and needs are addressed. We provide legal advocacy and accompaniment for survivors and social service advocacy and accompaniment to survivors” (SFWAR). What this information from the SFWAR website justifies is that they are here to support many people in their community because their well being is very important. The SFWAR organization has took action by giving direct service to victims of sexual violence and doing walks (marches) in order to enable awareness around the community so that there can be less sexual harassment around especially in the workplace where everyone is supposed to feel safe.

Our first step to our plan is to make an instagram page (@wesupportvictims) to spread awareness on social media about sexual harassment in the workplace. On Monday we will get chalk and write statistics about sexual harassment in the workplace. Next week we will also make flyers to tape around the school. Part of our plan is to also make teal ribbons to pass out to people. Teal is the color that represents sexual harassment/abuse. We are making ribbons because they are easy to hand out and easy for people to wear.  On Thursday, we all plan to have popsicles to give out. Students will need to show us that they followed our movement on Instagram to get a free popsicle. We are confident in our plan because we are doing many things that will raise awareness because we are spreading our message around the school so that people will understand more about sexual harassment in the workplace.

Thank you for taking the time to read our letter. You can follow us on Instagram @wesupportvictims to follow up with us.

Jessica H., Beatriz B., and Ashley M.

Annotated Bibliography

Chatterjee, Rhitu. “A New Survey Finds 81 Percent Of Women Have Experienced Sexual Harassment.” NPR, NPR, 22 Feb. 2018,

www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/21/587671849/a-new-survey-finds-eighty-percent-of-women-have-experienced-sexual-harassment.

This source is about the percentage follow me getting sexually harass in their lifetime. This source is relevant to my team topic because we are talking about sexualy harassment . A strong thing about this website is that they show bar graphs that represents the statistics. This source is trustworthy because the author is an expert on health issues.

“Direct Services.” San Francisco Women Against Rape | Direct Services,

www.sfwar.org/directservices.html.  

This website is for the SFWAR ( San Francisco Women Against Rape) organization and they offer resources and support for anyone that has experienced sexual violence. They also inform survivors of sexual violence their rights so that they can be safe. The reason why this source/website is credible is because they are non-profit and they include contact information on their website.

Garcia, Sandra E. “The Woman Who Created #MeToo Long Before Hashtags.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 20 Oct. 2017,    

www.nytimes.com/2017/10/20/us/me-too-movement-tarana-burke.html.

The article is about how the #MeToo movement started. This is relevant because the article talks about sexual harassment/abuse and our topic is about sexual harassment in the workplace.  One strength of this article is that it specifically says how the movement started. This source is credible because it’s the new york times that people everyday follow.

“History & Vision.” Me Too Movement, Girls for Gender Equity (GGE),    

metoomvmt.org/about/#history.

This website is dedicated for the Me too Movement that helps survivors of sexual violence     speak out and in the website it includes history about the Me too Movement over time. This website is credible because it’s the official website that has accurate information about the Me Too movement that Tarana Burke started and the Me Too Movement is a non-profit organization.

Shaw, Elyse, et al. “Sexual Harassment and Assault at Work: Understanding the Costs.” Institute for Women’s Policy Research, Institute For Women Policy Research, 15 Oct. 2018, iwpr.org/publications/sexual-harassment-work-cost/ .

This article is about what´s the rate of women getting sexual harassed in a workplace.This data is very shocking because the most getting sexually harass are women in a workplace. One strength that this website has is that it has a lot of information about the author. This source is relevant because our topic is about sexaul harrasent at a work place. This source is reliable because it has a lot of evidence about how women are most likely to get sexually harassed at a workplace.

CC BY-SA 4.0 We Support Sexually Harassed Victims in the Workplace by Jessica is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tasnia 5 months ago

Hi! I find your article extremely informative and full of important information that most might not be aware of. I find the chart that you included to be quite useful to understand just how dire this situation is. 10% of girls as young as 13 have experienced some form of sexual harassment. I find this absolutely disgusting and shocking, young girls who do nothing to deserve what they get. What is even more shocking is that as many as 27% of young women get sexually harassed by the age of 17. I would not have known this previously, so thank you for making this article and informing many of what is going on. Please make sure to check out my blog on wordpress: https://domesticviolenceactivism.wordpress.com/

2. Audrey B. 6 months ago

Hi Jessica H., Beatriz B., and Ashley M.,

This is an alarming issue that should not be taken lightly. Thank you for taking the time to speak up about such a sensitive topic. As a young woman, everyday tasks can sometimes be difficult, as we are always being targeted. It is important to emphasize the importance of personal safety habits, such as carrying pepper spray, to all individuals. Hearing about spreading awareness at your school is amazing, and I am glad that woman empowerment is being recognized even at a young age. Continue to be amazing!

Best,
    Audrey

3. David Jablonsky 6 months ago

Jessica, Beatriz, and Ashley,

This is such an important topic. Thank you for your work on it. I like how you were direct in selecting Tarana Burke for your audience as you point out how she initiated the movement that continues to inspire. Similarly, you narrowed your focus to workplace harassment, because your evidence guided you towards this being a space of more frequent abuse. It sounds like you have an ambitious set of plans to raise awareness among your peers.

I’m curious about something: Understandably, your project is about supporting survivors, but I wonder what support is being offered in the workplace to be more proactive in preventing this type of mistreatment. What kind of things are Human Resources Departments doing to more effectively stop or minimize sexual harassment? Are there common training programs, tested strategies, or outside resources in general that have been particularly useful to resisting a toxic workplace? This was just something I was left thinking about as I considered how common this issue sadly is.

4. alvizo 6 months ago

This is very well written! I love the idea of using social media to advocate for women who have experienced sexual harassment. How has your instagram page been doing so far in terms of spreading awareness?

5. Alyson Chew 6 months ago

Your article is very interesting and alarming! Thank you for including all of these charts and percentages, it adds a lot to your paper. It is very unfortunate that women are being sexually harassed in the workplace, but thank you for taking the first step to help spread awareness! I love all of your plans to spread the word. You will be able to reach different audiences with all your plans! Flyers and ribbons will definitely spread awareness on your campus and using social media will help you reach people all over the world! I love the Instagram page you created, it’s a great username. I’m excited to read your next follow up article and see your success!

6. Sam Reed U School 6 months ago

Jessica H., Beatriz B., and Ashley M.

Thank you for all your advocacy and action on this long standing issue of sexual harassment.

I really appreciated that you included an informative graph that visually represented the level and intensity that sexual harassment takes place ( even at an early age)

Your social media action plans seem like a great idea too. Do you plan to include graphs and visuals in your campaign? I think using infographics and visual aides will really help communicate your advocacy and action plan. All the best !

7. Janelle Garcia 6 months ago

Hi! I really thought your group’s introduction was great! You let Tarana know exactly why you are writing to her and why you want to stand by her. The statistics you provided were very informative and eye opening, this statistic caught my eye; “81% of women get sexually harassed in some point of their life time.” The amount of women who have or still experience harassment is heart breaking and this post shows the importance of showing support to the victims and putting a stop to sexual harassment or abuse. Thank you for showing your support and thoughts on this issue.