April 26th, 2019,

April 26th, 2019,

Dear Oakland Animal Services:

Did you know that “Approximately 6.5 million companion animals enter U.S. animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.3 million are dogs and 3.2 million are cats.” Specifically this quote means that many dogs and cats either get abused by people before or don’t have a home(Pet Statistics). We have chosen animal safety because we love animals and we need to take care of them because they are similar to humans. They can even have more feelings than a human being. More specifically, we have chosen to write to you, Oakland Animal Service, because we believe that you can really take good care of dogs and cats. Also, because you have low cost veterinary services and there is dog classes. Furthermore, you help the animals get a forever home and also you foster the animals so they can get the love and attention they need. We hope to work with you and support you.

Moreover, this is a huge issue going on because a lot of animals are endangered and get abused because they don’t have a home.  The oppressed group are the dogs and cats because in an article called Animal Cruelty and Stats it said that “the animals whose abuse is most often reported are dogs, cats” (The human society). It’s very dismal because in what mind occurs to abuse a animal that can’t defend themselves. Dogfighting and other forms of organized animal cruelty are the opponents because they go hand in hand with other crimes, and continues in many areas of the United States due to public corruption. In my opinion, animal cruelty should be precluded so our dogs don’t feel degraded by us and become antisocial with humans. According to a article called “We Need Your Help”, it states that “Dog Fighting is making a comeback in a big way in the U.S. It is estimated by some government sources that there are on average about 16,000 dogs killed each year in organized dog fights and that number continues to grow”(help stop dog fighting). It is absurd that animal cruelty will never stop if all these organizations don’t stop what they are doing. However, there are also allies which are people with a good heart that have organization that has helped those animals in need. For example, the Rocket Dog Rescue is an organization that helps animals get adopted and get them more feel adhered towards people. People also can donate to them to buy the necessities for the dogs and animals. Rocket dog rescue is a “group dedicated to saving homeless and abandoned animals from euthanasia in overcrowded Bay Area shelters”(The Rocket Dog).  Clearly, this organization abstains animals from danger and this group is very helpful just like Oakland Animal Service and other amazing shelters or groups.

A requirement the animals need is financially because they need food home even toys to have some fun, and there are great organizations that do that. For example, there is a organization called Hope For Paws that helps homeless animals and can donate to them. Money that is being raised is used for “helping us save animals – by supporting our rescue operations and helping us provide medical care” and for other obstacles they need (Hope for Paws). Also, we think what hope for paws does is very good because hope for paws has a youtube channel where they post when they saved a homeless animal. By watching their youtube videos Hope For Paws brings a lot of awareness because  “Hope For Paws has almost 3 million subscribers and over 660,000,000 views!” (Hope For Paws). Clearly, millions of people started to get to know this organization and call them when they see an animal in need of help so hope for paws can come to save them. Another way, to help the animals is by cleaning the oceans because also our beautiful ocean wildlifes are endanger. Another topic is that the ocean needs to be cleaned out because it is causing harm to the innocuous animals and a lot of animals are found dead. An organization called World wildlife fund knows as WWF, is helping our oceans be cleaner. WWF passed out an act where “Nearly 124,000 WWF activists from 49 states reached out to their member of Congress to support a bipartisan bill to take a stand on ocean plastic, and their impressive efforts paid off” (WFF). Save Our Seas Act passed and it’s inconceivable because WFF is one step closer to less trash and more research about the ocean wildlife. This is very impactful because it brought many people together and pushed them to fight for the animals and their plan came out how the activists wanted.

Our plan is to help animals in need and we will try to encapsulate more people on helping us. We will make this happen by calling animal shelters or organizations to ask if we can help in any way and not be an impediment for an animals happiness. Then, we can help to walk some dogs and raise money to donate to shelters so it can be used to help animals. We are also planning to go to two elementary schools and educate young kids about how to treat animals like humans too because they also have feelings and are more sentimental/loving since there are assumptions that dogs are “dangerous” but they aren’t and that is just an misnomer and misconception against dogs. We decided to go two  elementary school which are Global Family and Learning without Limits because the little kids are barely growing and I feel like they will make more of a change if they are scared of dogs and cats then they will probably not feel antipathy to the animals anymore . Lastly, make some posters and put them up in the street and try to enlighten people to donate money to shelters. To go to the elementary schools we will need to schedule up a time. Next, for the posters all we will need a big paper and start planning on what to draw and get some other ideas to embellish on our poster. My partner and I feel this is an empowering experience because it’s good to help others and will make us feel rejuvenated. Our actions measures up the class rubric because while talking to little kids we will take pictures and some personal thoughts and then include those in our presentations. We feel confident enough with my plan because we want to do this since we love animals and think they’re irreproachable and my love towards them is immutable; It makes me feels really good to help animals in need.

In conclusion, to raise awareness about animal safety, we will present about animals to two elementary schools and show why it matters and raise emphatic. Also, call an animal shelters or organizations to ask if we can help in any way. Afterwards, we can help to walk some dogs and raise money to donate to shelters so it can be used to help animals. Finally, hang posters up to raise more awareness and peoples attention to encourage them help animal shelters we hope to have an amazing embark with Oakland Animal Services. Please follow us on Instagram @510_animal_safety or follow our hashtag #510animalsafety. Thank you!

? With love,

Ingrid & Miguel?

Annotated Bibliography

“About Us: Hope For Paws.” Hope For Paws – Animal Rescue, HOPE FOR PAWS,

www.hopeforpaws.org/about_us.

This source is about an organization that saves animals. They also have a youtube channel that has 3.7 million subscribers. One strength is that the youtube channel brought a lot of awareness. One weakness is that it doesn’t have information about how to adopt an animal. This source is credible because hope for paws is a well knows organization by millions of people around the whole world.

“Animal Cruelty Facts and Stats.” The Humane Society of the United States.

www.humanesociety.org/resources/animal-cruelty-facts-and-stats.

This source is about animal cruelty . The animals whose abuse is most often reported are dogs and cats. One strength of this source is that it has other information about who abuses animals and organized cruelty. One weak of this source is that it gives little information and doesn’t explain more. This source is credible because the humane society is an organization that you can donate to and help animals who were abused.

“OAS Will Participate in Clear the Shelters.” Oakland Animal Services, 7 Apr. 2019,

www.oaklandanimalservices.org/category/news/.

This article is about dogs,cats and rabbits.It talks about how animals are a forever thing and not just a play thing.Also it shows how they help the animals and how they try to fund raise money for the animals that are suffering in the streets. This source is credible because it is a article that is not trying to sell anything and it is trying to help living creatures.

“Pet Statistics.” ASPCA, American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animal, 2019,

www.aspca.org/animal-homelessness/shelter-intake-and-surrender/pet-statistics.

This source is about the statistics of how many sheltered animals go back to their owners per year and other statistics about sheltered animals. For example approximately 3.2 million shelter animals are adopted each year, 1.6 million are dogs and 1.6 million are cats. One strength about this source is that it gives a number for any statistical question a person might want to know about shelter animal. A weakness about this source is that the statistics might not be exact. This source is credible because ASPCA is a knows organization that helps animals, gives them a shelter and people can donate to this shelter.

“Please Help Stop Organized Dog Fighting.” Please Help Stop Organized Dog Fighting,

www.stopdogfighting.net/.

This article is about how many dogs die in dogfights per year. This is relevant to my topic  because I’m doing animal safety. One strength is it tells me that 16,000 dogs get killed per year  in the U.S. One week is it only talks about the US and not other parts of the words. This source is credible because this source is trying to stop dogfighting.

“We’re One Step Closer to Keeping Trash and Plastic out of Our Oceans.” WWF, World Wildlife   Fund, 18 Oct. 2018,

www.worldwildlife.org/stories/we-re-one-step-closer-to-keeping-trash-and-plastic-out-of-our-oceans.

This source is about a group that is one step close to have our oceans clean. They passed out an act that was approved to keep oceans clean. One strength of this source is that it was successful on an act it passed out and has other articles to recommend. One weakness is that it doesn’t explain which animals are more affected in the ocean. This source is credible because it has a million activists supporting it that have made a ton of change for wildlife in the ocean.

Dear Oakland Animal Services:

? With love,

Ingrid & Miguel?

Annotated Bibliography

www.hopeforpaws.org/about_us.

www.stopdogfighting.net/.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Animal Safety by Ingrid is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Fanny 6 months ago

Dear Ingrid and Miguel

I am ecstatic with your post, because I also support your ideas. I support anti-declawing and I think more people should know of it and support it since declawing is going against the cat’s safety and well-being. This goes against the idea of animal safety and I was hoping that you could support us by signing our petition and checking out our blog!

Petition: https://www.change.org/p/andrew-m-cuomo-make-declawing-illegal-in-ny
    Blog: https://clawclique.wordpress.com/

2. kevonte spencer 6 months ago

This is beautiful helping animals is awesome and giving them shelters is even better. I believe animals deserve a better life than to be abandoned on the street i am very happy, glad, and supportive of what you guys have done and been doing to make it a better safe haven.

3. Chynna Sites 6 months ago

Ingrid & Miguel,
    I want to thank you for choosing this topic to write about. First off, I think it is important for people to know and understand that animals, unlike humans, cannot defend and provide for themselves in the ways that we can. I think people take for granted how big of a fold that animals can play in our lives. I personally have 2 dogs and I cannot even imagine the day that they are no longer here with me. My mom is a PETA angel and growing up she always made it a point to remind us that animals are to be cared for and treated with love, respect and care. Although my parents love animals, my siblings and I weren’t allowed to get our dogs until we were in high school & my parents reasoning behind it was that we didn’t know how much work it was going to be. And they were right. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my dogs and would never get rid of them, but as a kid my parents were right. I wasn’t ready for the responsibility that came with having to take care of another life because thats what pets are. They become a part of the family. I think the topic of animal safety is important and not something to be easily overlooked or taken for granted.

4. Author
    Ingrid 6 months ago

Hey Alyssa, Thank you for taking your time to read our work and yes we do really like this topic because we believe that animals are as important as us humans. We are happy that we have supporters and help us out like you!.

5. Raven N Reed 6 months ago

Greetings Ingrid and Miguel

As a person who has rescued three fur-babies, (and been rescued right back by them) I truly appreciate your work for animals who are in the shelter. I love the ideas your team has come with to educated the members of he community so that animals don’t end up in shelters. Education through the community is a great way to alleviate the numbers of animals in the shelter.. I also appreciate that you are starting with younger students within elementary schools. The elementary age students can inform their families about safe ways to care and keep animals. This is a great plan to educate many generations. The only criticism I would offer other than some formatting would be to be careful for the voice and your target audience within your grabber:

Dear Oakland Animal Services:

Did you know that “Approximately 6.5 million companion animals enter U.S. animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.3 million are dogs and 3.2 million are cats.”

Because it is Oakland Animal Services they are probable well aware of how many animals are abandoned. A better us of this shocking fact would be in the education campaign for families via infographic.

I’m impressed with your work, if you wouldn’t mind I’d love to send my students to your page so as an example of projects they can create!

6. Alyssa Spahr 7 months ago

Dear Ingrid and Miguel, I am amazed with your letter to the Oakland Animal Services, titled “Animal Safety” because this is something I feel very strongly about. One sentence you wrote that stood out for me is: “We are also planning to go to two elementary schools and educate young kids about how to treat animals like humans too because they also have feelings and are more sentimental/loving since there are assumptions that dogs are “dangerous” but they aren’t and that is just an misnomer and misconception against dogs.” I think this is great because you two are going above and beyond to help others become aware of animal abuse and animal safety. You two have listed a good amount of organizations that can help animals in need. I am looking forward to seeing more posts because you seem to have a lot of passion in your writing.

7. Natasha Harris 7 months ago

Hey Ingrid and Miguel!
    I really like the ideas that you came up with to help the shelter and to do your part in helping the animals. Walking dogs, raising money, teaching younger kids about how to safely treat animals, and putting up posters are all such smart and easy ways to help out. I can tell that you’re passionate about animal cruelty and only want the best for them. It’d be so awesome if you did partake in your ideas and if you do, I wish you the best!
    Natasha (: