Hey! My name is Rafael Delgadillo and I’m 17 years old. I was born in the Dominican Republic in the capital, which is Santo Domingo. I came to live in New York City when I was 10 years old in 2012. One important thing to know about me is that I love sports – not to just watch on the tv, but also to play. I love playing baseball every time I get a chance. When I’m out of school what I like to do is to play 2k with my friends or just go out to the park and chill with them. One thing that I like to do and I’m pretty good at it is cutting hair. I learned how to cut hair when I was 13 years old. My father had a barbershop, and every day I came out of school he used to pick me up and take me to the barbershop and show me how to cut hair when I didn’t have anything to do. My plans for the future are getting a good job that pays me a lot of money so I could buy my house and get into businesses to be my own boss and making sure my family has food to eat.

School isn’t too fun but one of my favorite thing to do is spend time joking around with my friends at lunch time. When I come out of school the one thing I like doing the most is go to bed and sleep for a good long time. What I’m particularly good at is math. I don’t like to do too much work but when it comes to math I like it all. It just helps me get away from the world. I’m really good at it – not on a great level like the teacher, but I defend myself with it, meaning, I get by pretty well. I don’t know why, but I like numbers so much. I don’t know how I got to like numbers so much. I knew I liked them when I started going to 9th grade I didn’t do any work that wasn’t related to math. Math was the only class I was passing.

Gangs are most likely the protection of kids who feel like they run the hood. One thing I want to tell kids is that gangs and the streets aren’t good for any of us. I understand that you want to be known and stuff but there is a better way to do it, by getting known for the good things you do, not for the bad things you do or have done before. Getting an education is the best for all of us. It makes us look better and smart it could make u defend yourself with education not with a weapon.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The art of math and cutting hair by Rafael is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Samuel 3 months ago

Rafeal, Thanks for sharing your narrative. Your love for math and grooming hair reminds me of some my students. I wonder what kind of stories you could tell with numbers? Keep writing and keep loving math. All the best

Rafael 3 months ago

thank you samuel i would do my best to keep on with it thanks for your comment.