,

She knows she can’t
But if she has the chance
She wants to stay
To breathe in the unique scent of the day

For now, she’s stuck in a city
She wants to leave and go to the relaxing place
Where she could forget her school days
Where she could lay down in a soccer field and the stars she can gaze

She finds herself getting closer to her family
Family that’s only over there and
Over there she has a wonderful time
She loves to hang out with her sister who brings out some funny chimes
She finds herself learning more about her sister over there
But when she leaves that place her sister leaves as well
This place is a special place where mostly everything goes well
She finds herself leaving that place with lots of stories to tell

She waits for the day when she’ll go back
She waits for the day where she’ll see her family again
She waits for the day and is getting tired
She waits for the day and isn’t getting inspired  

CC BY-SA 4.0 A Poem of Mexico by Wendy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Oscar 2 weeks ago

Dear Wendy,
    I am touched with your poem, “A Poem of Mexico,” because I am also Mexican and i could relate with the struggles of not being able to see our families everyday.
    One stanza that stands out for me is, “She waits for the day when she’ll go back She waits for the day where she’ll see her family again She waits for the day and is getting tired She waits for the day and isn’t getting inspired ” I think these lines are fascinating because i’ve never been to Mexico and reading this made me wanna go even more and i can’t wait to go now.
    Another line that stands out for me is, “She finds herself getting closer to her family” I think this line is interesting because it’s always a good feeling when your whole family can go out all together and have fun without all the yelling and arguing.
    Your poem reminds me of a poem that I once wrote about a soccer field. This reminds me of my poem because one you mentioned a soccer field and two it was because me and my family are always there and when I can’t go I feel upset and I miss it because I always have fun with my family and i sometimes even get to know more family that i didn’t know I had(we mexican’s have a lot of cousins we don’t even know about)
    Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next.

2. Kimberly Arias 1 month ago

I Enjoyed this poem because i feel many of us can relate to it. Make it fit in our own lives. When I go to Baja-California, I feel the “freedom” you speak about. As your poem says ” She finds herself leaving that place with lots of stories to tell”also once she leaves she just waits for her chance to go back with this Eagerness. Very true and powerful poem.

3. hatou 2 months ago

Dear Wendy,

I am stunned by your poem, “A poem of mexico”, because it says a lot about how much you love your country. It also shows me how concerned you are about where your from. One part of your poem that stands out for me is when you said, “She finds herself getting closer to her family
    Family that’s only over there and over there she has a wonderful time”. I think these lines explain a lot on how much your family means to you and how comfortable you feel around them. Also, it seems that you just love them so much that you don’t want to leave them which is wonderful. Another part of your poem that astonished me was when you stated, “This place is a special place where mostly everything goes well. She finds herself leaving that place with lots of stories to tell.” you seem to love out there. I hope you loved there to the fullest and i hope you’ll have many more chances to go back and reunite with your family members again. This poem reminds of me when i was leaving from Africa to come here {u.s}. It had me feeling so sad to leave my loved ones. Thanks for your poem i look forward to see what you make first. The fact that your able to express your feelings in an poem and have the rhythm to it amazed me and was so wonderful in my eyes.

4. Angelina 2 months ago

Dear Wendy:
    I am touched with your poem,”A Poem of Mexico” because its a very unique and lovely poem. I really enjoyed reading your poem I think your repetition of “she waits for the day” in the last stanza made it powerful. It makes it more interesting and easy for people to understand and want to read more like how I did. Two lines that stand out to me is in lines 3&4 of the first stanza “She wants to stay To breath in the unique scent of day”. These line o so well together and enjoyable because of the rhyme and this makes it way more stand out to me because I really like when poems rhyme but not every line like your poem. this poem relates to me because there used to be long period of time that I don’t go back to the Dominican Republic and i will get stuck in the city just like that girl in the poem. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next because i know that many people will find your past and upcoming pieces relatable to anyone someway somehow.

5. George 2 months ago

Dear Wendy:
    I am impressed by your poem, “A Poem of Mexico,” because it is a very beautiful and calming poem. One line that stands out for me is, “She waits for the day and is getting tired She waits for the day and isn’t getting inspired ” I think this line is intriguing because as you end with a rhyme the poem ends at a happy tone making me wonder what could happen next. Another line that stands out for me is, “To breathe in the unique scent of the day” I think this line is interesting because as when I read it I can almost hear the Inhale and exhale and it makes your feel very relaxed and calm. Your poem reminds me of a poem that I once read. It talking about a game that they were played and strategizing to win, Your poem is also like a battle to find a relaxing soothing place and you do it in a calm manner. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next. Maybe it’s something like this poem or maybe the exact opposite i’m sure it’ll be just as good as this.

6. Jillian 2 months ago

Dear Wendy,
    “A poem of Mexico” is a very versatile poem. There are many literary devices that you use that really bring out the poem. Specifically your use of repetition makes the poem more powerful. When you repeat she waits, it just adds more emotion. The more emotion makes it easier for people to fully connect to the poem.
    This poem i feel like is relatable to a lot of people. I personally relate to it, because I yearn to go back to my family in China. Im waiting for the day I go back to be reunited. This poem just bring back multiple memories of going back to China. This poem isn’t just relatable to me, but I for other people. Especially, people who have family in other countries.
    Your writing is brilliant. I hope to see more of your work. I love that you go back to your culture and really represent.

Your fellow student,
    Jillian Wood

7. Ashley 2 months ago

Dear Wendy:
    I feel I am living her poem, “A poem of Mexico,” because Mexico is very gorgeous place. Is a place where you can relax be with were family and live together. And I am in USA and my parents are in Mexico and it is hard living far from them.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “She waits for the day when she’ll go back
    She waits for the day where she’ll see her family again.” I think this is as a hope because personally I wait for the day to see my parents. It’s a sacrifice the simple fact of begin away from them.
    Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because we are many children of Mexican parents that we went through this situation. Mexico is the only place where you can feel breath good aire and feel part of there. I am sure that your writing are going to represent me.