,

There are few things you should know about me. My name is Emily Rodriguez, I am a child of a half-Cuban-half-Dominican mother and a Dominican father. Both my parents were born America, but my moms mom was born in Santiago de Cuba. My mom’s dad was born in LaVaga Dominican Republic . My dads mom and dad were born in Jayabo, Dominican Republic. My mother and father met in New York city in high school in 2001 November, 29. My mom was 14 years old and my dad was 15. They had the same cultural expectation, but were in different grades. My mom and dad were very young when they had me. My mom was 16 years old and my dad was 17 years old when i was born. I was born in New York  presbyterian allen hospital in 2004. My parents were living in a ninth floor apartment with my dad’s mother. When 1 year old my parent broke up, but i still visited my father and my mom took me to live with her in a two bedroom apartment in Washington heights New York. My mom was and still is a single parent who also spent time with me. I started visiting my dad at age 8.Me and my dad don’t really have a close bond. To be honest i’m not really close to my dad.

My whole life i went to public school near my neighborhood, which was Washington Height. I went to P.S.189 for kindergarten through 4th grade. For middle school i went to MS322, and for right now i go to Harvest Collegiate High School. I love to play basketball. In my old school i was in a basketball team for 3 years. I stopped playing ball in my freshmen year and start focusing on my future. I joined the after school program model UN. I think high school is the part of your life where you have to realize your growing up and reality hits you to show you that your a soon to be adult. I want to focus on becoming someone and join and do stuff that benefits my future in a good way.

As a young women there a lot of things that people say or do to judge us or discriminate us. Women are taken and seen as a joke in some eyes, mostly Men. But i’m here to change that, i’m here to try to change the word and make women be taken seriously. To stop people from saying “ you play like a girl, or  you should go to girls team”. To stop people from believing stereotypes making it look like a women are supposed to stay at home and cook clean and just do that.As women we are worth more and the world is gonna see that.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Emily:) by Emily is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Omar 1 month ago

Dear Emily :
    I relate with your bio, “Emily:),” because my mother had me at a very young age as well, and I also don’t have a very close relationship with my father because of the fact that he left my mother before she was born (and it’s not an uncommon thing either, which sucks).

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I think high school is the part of your life where you have to realize your growing up and reality hits you to show you that your a soon to be adult. I want to focus on becoming someone and join and do stuff that benefits my future in a good way..” I agree with you because high school is where you determine what path in life you’ll be taking, who you’ll become, and how it’ll affect others as well. It determines whether or not you want to go to college, or if you want to be a nurse, a police officer, or a lawyer.

Another sentence that I loved was: “Women are taken and seen as a joke in some eyes, mostly Men. But i’m here to change that, i’m here to try to change the word and make women be taken seriously. To stop people from saying “ you play like a girl, or you should go to girls team”. To stop people from believing stereotypes making it look like a women are supposed to stay at home and cook clean and just do that. As women we are worth more and the world is gonna see that.” This stood out for me because I feel like women don’t get the credit they deserve for all that they do in the world.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I relate to your story somewhat, and I think we’d be interested in the same things.