,

In an article by Mark Blankenship, the topic of technology in the classrooms is discussed. Something very interesting about this article is that he presents opinions from students’ perspectives and from professors’ perspectives. For instance, an example he gives from a student’s perspective is that the use of technology in classrooms could translate into not having to pay for books. This is important because class books can be extremely expensive, so it would be a very impactful benefit. A negative example that is given from a professor’s perspective is that technology can really tempt students to cheat on their work. While acknowledging both the positives and negatives, the article concludes with the idea that despite the negatives, it would be a good idea to essentially “take charge of technology” because whether we like it or not, technology is only going to continue to become more integrated into our lives

Another article by Alice Armstrong also discusses the concepts of how technology isn’t going anywhere and how its role should be considered in the classroom. Something that article touches on is how technology is definitely “changing the way many students learn” and how this is a concern because we don’t know whether or not it’s in a positive or negative way. One issue brought up with technology in the classroom is that students don’t have “sufficient ability to judge the quality of information they find online.” This is a fair point because while the internet can give us access to many different sources, it is very difficult to discern which ones are actually reliable. A benefit that the article discusses, however, is that technology in the classroom allows for more peer collaboration, which can be helpful in learning.

In this article by V. Ramanaryanan, the topic of computers and education is discussed. He provides a more negative standpoint on this topic. One of his criticisms of using computers in education is that there are “several less expensive and more effective learning aids available to the student.” This definitely takes a different approach than the first source I cited, but in some cases I can see where this conclusion is correct. Another negative claim he makes is that the use of the computer in the classroom destroys creativity. He supports this claim by basically saying that since computers provide such instant and easy answers to students, this can stop them from being independent thinkers.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Technology and Classrooms by Kasandra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.