,

“Expansion of American education” is an article that goes into detail about the evolution of the American education system, and talks about various problems and solutions to increase the quality of education. Ever since education started to be taken more and more seriously, the issue surrounding the distribution of money to each school district has increasingly created controversy. State departments have supposedly always been using equal money spending on all school districts, but the poorest areas are still struggling to help disadvantaged students who are mainly minorities. This has been a problem in education since its beginning, and is still the case in many states.

However, attempts have been made to help the disadvantaged youth in some of these areas. For example, people have made more of an effort to understand this group through multicultural courses, bilingual instructions, and women’s studies so that they receive a more thorough education. There has also been increasing help for kids who are handicapped and who have disabilities. The Education for all handicapped children act of 1975 provided more facilities, program development, teacher preparation, and employment training for the handicapped. This act has continued to be updated throughout the years to ensure that it is keeping up with the needs of these students. Something else that has had great attention in the past years in American education is the focus on reaching children at a young age. Because of this, there has been a growth of preschool provisions, early-childhood teachers, day care workers, and nannies.

Despite this current focus in American education, the focus used to be slightly different when education was barely on the rise. Classes that were more emphasized were subjects in response to social issues such as consumer education, ethnic or multicultural education, environmental education, sex and family life education, and substance abuse education. I think that we should go back to emphasizing these classes in grades K-12, because they would help teach kids to have an open mind to different perspective and they would teach kids how to have appropriate discussions over these topics. Something else that schools used to do to better their systems was set curricula, competency standards, mandated tests, and augmented diplomas with superior achievements. However, with new technology innovation the focus was changed once again. Teachers began using these tools to organize and prepare material, teach computer classes, and create interactive online lessons that adjusted to the students level of ability. In addition to this, we also focused more on raising the level of general provisions in all schools rather than focusing on vocational training or schooling for gifted children like they did in other countries.
https://nowcomment.com/documents/136624

CC BY-SA 4.0 Evolution of the American Education System- EE week 4 by Yulisa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Branigan 2 weeks ago

Very interesting take on this article. This is a topic that is very interesting, as well as relevant in today’s society. This issue is something that we need to take into account when thinking about education, as it is important to give everyone the same access to educational resources, allowing them to better themselves.

2. Sera 2 weeks ago

This is a very interesting topic Yulisa. I think it’s very important to recognize disadvantaged populations and accommodate for that.