,

Over half the Great Barrier Reef has died off since 2016 due to climate change. Because of the rapid change in climate, corals are beginning to bleach and over 50% have already died off. Coral bleaching takes place when a coral’s environment is altered, even to the slightest degree. This results in the symbiotic algae living in the corals tissue to be expelled, slowly starving the coral. The coral then slowly dies off and turns white as a result. The Great Barrier Reef was considered one of the strongest and healthiest coral reef systems in the world. It is important to take into account one of the world’s healthiest reefs is rapidly declining at an alarming pace, because it shows how serious the the effects of global warming is.

https://nowcomment.com/documents/136462

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Great Barrier Reef is Dying off by Raine is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.