,

I’m changing my topic to be mass media political manipulation.

Ebsco Source: “Do Mass Media Influence the Political Behavior of Citizens.” The Guide to Winning Elections, 26 Nov. 2013, guidetowinningelections.com/do-mass-media-influence-the-political-behavior-of-citizens/.

“One must not forget another interesting fact about the media. Their political influence extends far beyond newspaper reports and articles of a direct political nature, or television programs connected with current affairs that bear upon politics. In a much more subtle way, they can influence people’s thought patterns by other means, like “goodwill” stories, pages dealing with entertainment and popular culture, movies, TV “soaps”, “educational” programs. All these types of information form human values, concepts of good and evil, right and wrong, sense and nonsense, what is “fashionable” and “unfashionable,” and what is “acceptable” and “unacceptable”. These human value systems, in turn, shape people’s attitude to political issues, influence how they vote and therefore determine who holds political power.”

A part of this article talks about how media sources use non-direct techniques to sway peoples’ thinking which subsequently influences how they perceive politics. This is what Buzzfeed and SNL and other sources* have been accused of doing. It is manipulating the whole human perspective as a technique to indirectly influence peoples’ political alignment and ideologies.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Mass Media and Political Manipulation by Ari is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Angelica 1 week ago

Ari I found this really interesting to read about and I think it’s really cool to look more into. I really agree that a lot of the time the media can impact a lot the way that we can view politics. Whether this can be in a positive or negative way and a lot of the time it does seem to be negative. I think your doing an amazing job and to keep digging more into this topic.

2. William 1 week ago

Ari,
    This is a super interesting topic because the political landscape right now is so partisan and toxic on both sides. This really is where the problem starts and persists as people are only open to what they previously believe and choose not to further educate themselves on dividing topics. The prevalence of one sided media sources and short attention grabbing headlines is a problem that needs do be talked about and alleviated in some way.

3. Olivia 2 weeks ago

Hi Ari! I find this topic fascinating. We are influenced by so many things around us, especially our technology and media. It makes me wonder whether we are ever truly thinking for ourselves, which is kind of a scary thought. I really like the part about how our media consumption forms our values and what we view as right or wrong. It is so true and, if it’s like that now, I can’t help but think what it’s going to be like in the future when our technology advances even more. Will consumption of media be the only thing that makes us, us? Either way, really interesting topic. Keep up the good work!