The first source from the Gale database that I looked at was actually an obituary for John Hughes, but contained a lot of details about his impact on film and his life. The article included a lot of quotes from Hughes, including one where he describes how unlike other filmmakers, he never made the teens in his movies seem ignorant or immoral. One of the cases for why he was so impactful (especially for teens) is that his characters are relatable even after decades. It’s hard for people to relate to ignorant or immoral characters and frankly, they might not even want to. While Hughes’ characters might have been oversimplified, they were never as brash as other characters from that time. People may even have wanted to relate to his characters unlike some of the others from that era. The article also includes another quote from Hughes that relates to this: “My generation had to be taken seriously because we were stopping things and burning things. We were able to initiate change, because we had such vast numbers. We were part of the baby boom, and when we moved, everything moved with us. But now there are fewer teens, and they aren’t taken as seriously as we were. There’s just a general lack of respect for young people now.” This quote implies that Hughes also wanted to bring respect and gravity to teens in that generation. It was an evident goal of his to never patronize the teens in his movies and this quote gives us a reason why. Finally, there are simpler reasons about why Hughes was so impactful. Frankly, people liked the “quirky love triangles” and breaks from the other bawdy movies in that time. While the reasons may seem simple, they were enough to draw people in and stay interested in his films after all this time.  

The second source I looked at from the Gale database is much shorter, but explained The Breakfast Club’s introduction into the National Film Registry. Each year, up to twenty five “culturally, historically, or aesthetically important” films are added into the registry. In 2016, The Breakfast Club was added to the collection of over seven hundred prestiged films. Carla Hayden, a member of the Library of Congress states that the National Film Registry “embraces the richness and diversity of film as an art form and celebrates the people who create the magic of cinema.” For context, it was also added the same year as The Lion King and The Princess Bride. The Breakfast Club’s induction into the National Film Registry implies that at least one of Hughes’ films is historically important and impactful, and that he is celebrated for his work in the film.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Update: John Hughes Is Still a Good Filmmaker by Katherine is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Anna 7 months ago

Katherine, first of all, I love John Hughes so I loved your article. I loved the way you approached his work and intertwined it with your own opinion. Students often have difficulty relating to their superiors or those who seem to have power over them, so it was interesting to read about that. Just because people are young doesn’t mean that their opinions are not valid or that they shouldn’t be heard. I think that is especially prevalent in Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club. Both movies focus on adolescents struggles with parents and superiors. You might like this article. https://www.apa.org/education/k12/relationships It focuses on students’ relationships with teachers. Overall great job!
    -Anna Drossos

2. Christopher 8 months ago

I really like the angle by which you’re approaching this topic. One of the things that makes students angry is undue condescension from their higher-ups. Even though adolescence is a time of learning and discovery, young people wish to feel empowered in their own convictions, and not belittled by what they deem to be arbitrary authority figures. Reflecting on The Breakfast Club, I think it is the portrayal of these kids as genuine human beings put down by a bumbling school administrator that makes their very-real problems all the more relatable to audiences.

3. Clara 8 months ago

I totally agree that the essence of the characters that Hughes’ captures in his movies remain completely relatable! I like how you mention that there seems to be an increase in the lack of respect for teenagers in general. However, I think there are several filmmakers that understand that, maybe find a few you could compare him to.