Mr.Ewell, the antagonist in Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird, has a few traits that influence his relationship with others. One, he is really cruel, Two he is very foolish. Three he is a coward and a liar!

In the screenplay it says (see in NowComment):

Ewell. I agree with everything Mr. Tate said. Her eye was blacked. She was mighty beat up . . . mighty.
Atticus. Now, Mr. Ewell, can you . . . er . . . can you read and write?
Ewell. Yes Mr. Finch. I can read and I can write….. Well, what’s so interesting’?
Judge. You’re left-handed, Mr. Ewell

Mendacity comes into play here when Mr. Ewell lied about not beating up Mayella. She was beaten up by someone left handed. Tom Robinson can’t even use his left hand so it was obviously Ewell, which shouldn’t even be pointed out. Ewell is very cruel, he was the one who beat up his own daughter. Mr. Ewell is a total fool and a liar.

Later on page 40 (or in NowComment), Atticus  interacts with Ewell, basically trying to avoid him. In the screenplay it states:

Jem- tell my daddy to come out here please
Atticus- no need to be afraid of him son. He’s all bluff.
Ewell-nigger lover

Atticus later on responded to Jem saying (in NowComment), “There’s a lot of ugly things in this world son. I wish i could keep em all away from you. that’s never possible.”

Ewell’s traits deepen a readers sense of his cruelty and sparks a feeling of danger and hatred toward others including his own daughter and Atticus and his family.

1. Mack 1 year ago

Fatumata, this was great that you did an analysis on To Kill A Mockingbird, you really described the characters really well. You described their traits well enough so that audience can have a feel about the characters before reading the book.

2. Skye 1 year ago

Fatumata, I really enjoyed how deep your analysis of To Kill a Mockingbird is in this essay. It is one of my favorites, and your study of this character is very comprehensive. I think it is very interesting how you took his behavior and used it to show the sense of danger he gives to the other characters in the novel.

3. Alexis 1 year ago

Fatumata,
    I think it is great you chose To Kill a Mockingbird to analyze the characters. There are so many different types of characters in this book and it does a great job of showing some of the kinds of people we have had in our society.

4. William 1 year ago

Fatumata,
    To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my absolute favorite books. It really shows the ugliness of some of America’s history while blending it with the compassion of Atticus and innocence of his children. It is really interesting doing character analyses on characters, specifically in this book. The characters in this book show some of the base human traits that lead us down a path of hate or acceptance.