,

There are many minor flaws in the education system that ultimately lead to a much greater overall issue. In an article by Matthew Lynch,  he states 18 reasons the american education system is failing. Some of the most surprising to me were that technology has presented many new challenges, the issue of tenure, and the controversy over school safety and security. Another article I read talked about a major underlying issue that is still present in schools which is segregation. Instead of creating a diverse school, we need to focus more on creating diverse classrooms. The article talks about a school in New York where the majority is caucasian students, who ultimately receive better benefits and opportunities. Many believe that standardized tests are made to make minorities fail. This school segregation doesn’t prepare kids and young adults for the real world. More diversity leads to a greater skill of critical thinking. The last article I read talks about how the American education system is broken. It talks about how the grading system measures the students inner excellence. This teaches student to study to pass the class, not to learn the material. This leads to an obsession with grades, instead of focusing on finding something we’re passionate about. Something that could fix this issue is requiring students to correct their tests. It’s important to go over previous concepts before moving onto new material.

https://nowcomment.com/documents/135129

CC BY-SA 4.0 Flaws in the American Education System by Yulisa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Miriam 4 weeks ago

I think there are many issues within the education system that need to be discussed, several of which you brought up. However, one question that I thought of while reading your discussion was what is meant by diversity in school? There are many aspects of a person that can make any group of people diverse. One that I think is notable is the growing number of students coming out in school as transgender. In past years, seeing people out as trans before college was rarely seen, but the number is growing these days. What challenges do you think this will pose for the education system? I ask this because standardized tests already hurt minorities by asking about race, but what about how they ask about gender and only give two options? The link is just a video about being trans in school to show that the number of students coming out is growing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bI-zO4bc3o

2. Isabell 4 weeks ago

Yulisa,

I think you have a great start to your research. I believe education is the foundation of success and growth, and exploring the flaws of our education system is an important step in growing as a country. An interesting topic that may relate to your research could be the school-to-prison pipeline because it explains more flaws in our education system. Here is a link to an article explaining this https://www.thoughtco.com/school-to-prison-pipeline-4136170.

Best,

Isabell

3. Abigail 4 weeks ago

Yulisa, you bring up some very important difficulties with the American education system. More often than not, people recognize there is a problem with the current system but fail to identify the causes or solutions. We seem to be spiraling downhill. I appreciated the fact that your article took the time to name some of the most difficult problems with the American school system. I am curious to see what solutions you will propose.

4. Abby 4 weeks ago

Yulisa,

This is a really interesting topic. I really liked how concisely you summarized these sources and how you thoroughly you explained each concept. I would love to know more about the bias of standardized tests and how that affects minority groups and their college education.